Page 87 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297137 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Steel boat owners of mature craft will be worried about where the pick lands.
    Why??

That's close to a test not uncommon to check the hull is OK in the bilges, centre punch and a hefty blow with a big lump hammer. If it bounces off then all should be well, if not then you've done something wrong like letting water get inside the boat and need to get the grinder out and weld in a bit of plate. This I know.......

Best done out of the water...

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Yes, it takes a lot of offshore cruising off the beaten path, to fully realize the benefits of steel. Pity it has such a poor retained value in the used boat market.

There, Brent-I've put in the bit you left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Didn't I read about a GRP yacht that left its keel wedged into some rocks west of the Silly Isles. I believe the skipper was completely unaware and the boat sailed for several more trips until the fact was discovered.

I don't suppose a concrete breakwater counts as hard enough, nor the video of the 36' GRP boat being sailed into it at hull speed counts for much either. Then there is the GRP yacht being repeatedly slammed into the stone breakwater in significant sea's until it was pulled off by a rescue boat on YT. It didn't sink, so that won't count.

I seem to remember watching the YBW team try to hole some GRP boat for a flooding piece they were doing. The methods they had to resort to, in order to punch a hole in an ostensibly flimsy GRP boat showed just how ignorant very seasoned sailors can be regarding GRP.

No boat is guaranteed immune to rocks, including steel.

IIRC The boat was a charter boat and was returned by the charterer and his deposit refunded as there was no obvious damage to the vessel. The next charterer took it out, hoisted the sails, found it very tender, took it back where it was lifted and the keel was found to be missing. The previous charterer did later admit to " Touching the bottom gently "

But, the boat did not leak or sink-or, AFAIK, let in any water.

I have tested poor quality and very thin GRP to destruction many times-the fairings on racing motorcycles were made of it-still are in some cases, but far better quality now than in the 60's to 80's when I was using it. It can be surprisingly strong. A pickaxe, unless the tip was sharpened like an ice axe, would just bounce off a GRP yacht hull. It would damage the gelcoat. The YBW team, pics by Snooks, worked very hard to damage the hull.

But Brent wont be interested. It does not fit his agenda................................

I cant reply properly to your post 857 as, once again, you have messed about with the quote function.

However, I have found some stuff on Sailing anarchy which confirms my view of you and your boating and life philosophy. :-

Brent Swain is a populist type boat designer who appears actually to spend time on a functioning boat, which should gain him some admiration here. He lives cheaply, bodging together scrap metal gear and prefers age tested plywood he finds drifting , since its stronger than new which might delaminate. A post apocolypse type mad max boatbuilder who is unsure why a world still enjoying civilisation does'nt prefer his boats to those designed and built by skilled shipwrights.
    His fatal flaws are mind numbing repetition and inability to see the merit of other views and crafts.

Seems pretty accurate so far...............................................

Just found a reply to that from another poster. It reads:-

I engaged him politely, expressing respect for some of his abilities and points of view, while suggesting that he might win a few more converts if he was not so scornful of the rest of the planet.
    A total failure on my part. He cant even tell when someone is trying to be nice to him. That's a lot of angst!
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-02-19 at 05:21.

On a lighter note, went for a sail on " Ella ", our Hartley 32 in steel, in Wellington Harbour today, checking out systems and the reefing gear-Its got a revolving boom for reefing. We have no experience of this method and have not needed to reef on previous sails-for Wellington, the previous sails have been in light winds.

All good, with a clean bottom she went surprisingly well upwind with full main and genoa, we then put the genoa away and gybed off downwind under main alone. Then the main was reefed to the second reef and half the genoa used, all good, still going well with increasing winds. Put the genoa away and came back downwind-gusting 25 knots-under reefed main.

Well pleased, our hard work has paid off. She looks well, only the flush deck and cockpit need painting now, a job for November when we return.

Bit concerned with the very heavy tiller under engine-its fine sailing. Going astern it caught First Mate out, trapping her in a corner! I suspect the rudder is a bit on the large side.
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-02-19 at 04:59.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    On a lighter note, went for a sail on " Ella ", our Hartley 32 in steel, in Wellington Harbour today,
    ...and on an even lighter note us lot can go sailing on the Solent in 18C this week, perhaps even a tad warmer than Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    for Wellington, the previous sails have been in light winds.
    How can we trust anything you say when you make outrageous statements like this about Wellington's weather. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    ...and on an even lighter note us lot can go sailing on the Solent in 18C this week, perhaps even a tad warmer than Wellington
    About the same-20 degrees today, but we had a bit of a Southerly at the weekend which dropped it to 16-17.

First day of Autumn here tomorrow, but weather looking good for the coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Why??

That's close to a test not uncommon to check the hull is OK in the bilges, centre punch and a hefty blow with a big lump hammer. If it bounces off then all should be well, if not then you've done something wrong like letting water get inside the boat and need to get the grinder out and weld in a bit of plate. This I know.......

Best done out of the water...
    I think your story illustrates the point very well - that it matters where the pick lands.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    I think your story illustrates the point very well - that it matters where the pick lands.
    Think your missing the point, any steel boat owner who who knows his boat and kept on top on maintenance will know already that it doesn't matter where the pick lands, it will bounce off.

"Steel boat owners of mature craft will be worried about where the pick lands." is rubbish, only if it hasn't been looked after and badly built in the first place.

Page 87 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297137 ... LastLast