Page 88 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Could a lightweight GRP race boat survive a week of being pounded by the Atlantic surf and then get forcibly dragged off the beach with no damage whatsoever?

No way. It couldn't possibly happen, could it?

Oh wait, it did. I guess GRP is stronger than BS thinks it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Could a lightweight GRP race boat survive a week of being pounded by the Atlantic surf and then get forcibly dragged off the beach with no damage whatsoever?
    Good outcome: impressive keel structure also to withstand the bashing associated with grounding, then hammered for a week on the shoreline, then yanked around by the tugboat.

Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Good outcome: impressive keel structure also to withstand the bashing associated with grounding, then hammered for a week on the shoreline, then yanked around by the tugboat.

Not bad!
    Not bad - and absolutely no structural damage.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Not bad - and absolutely no structural damage.
    Obviously fake news. (I anticipate a certain persons reply)

Either that or, “Tell the Sleavins yada yada yada....”

I’ve already told him about a steel boat I’ve sailed across oceans on that’s only a few years old but it’s been scrapped as uneconomical to repair. “Well you must have maintained it wrong is the only answer.”

I wasn’t responsible for it and I didn’t do the maintenance so I can’t comment on something so self evidently true.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Obviously fake news. (I anticipate a certain persons reply)

Either that or, “Tell the Sleavins yada yada yada....”

I’ve already told him about a steel boat I’ve sailed across oceans on that’s only a few years old but it’s been scrapped as uneconomical to repair. “Well you must have maintained it wrong is the only answer.”

I wasn’t responsible for it and I didn’t do the maintenance so I can’t comment on something so self evidently true.
    Presumably it's also fake news that the yacht recently sold by Captain Fantastic (see thread on PBO) hit a rock, and sank. You're the one who said that a GRP yacht hitting a rock wouldn't be a problem. Which is the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Are uncharted rocks especially hard then?
    No more so than the average rock but they are persuasive enough to make even the most diehard grp enthusiast contemplate whether steel might have some merit.

This only really applies if one likes to sail in places where uncharted rocks might be encountered. Others can maintain an air of aloof complacency.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Presumably it's also fake news that the yacht recently sold by Captain Fantastic (see thread on PBO) hit a rock, and sank. You're the one who said that a GRP yacht hitting a rock wouldn't be a problem. Which is the truth?
    And the Titanic hit some frozen water.........................................

ALL vessels can be pierced if hit in the wrong place by an object when kinetic energy is involved.

The hulls of Kawasaki Jet Ski's are not very ruggedly constructed. Power to weight is very important. The first one in the ROI was purchased as a non-runner from the Kawasaki dealer in Ballymena by the ROI principal of the Kawasaki importers there. He got it going-new CDI unit-and took it to the nearest water, the Grand Canal in Dublin.

It was a section of canal that had been modified so easy access for feeding the ducks was available for local residents, with a dropped and shallow edge. It was very urban and by a traffic light controlled crossroad.

Well, it should have been on youtube, but in 1977, mobile phones as we know them did not exist.

The Jetski was idling, the wet suited owner in the water behind it. As is required to mount, he gassed it. It came away from its almost negative bouyancy state very quickly, as they do, got out of his control, shot up the dropped edge and across the red lights at the crossroads. It traveled 43 paces by itself, due to the hull shape and the low friction of Gelcoat on paving and tarmac. It came to rest half up a granite paved kerbstone.

The Jetski hull was scratched, but otherwise uncompromised. It went on to be a contender in the first Jetski National Championships.

I know the Paddies can tell a good story, but when I heard it from the owners younger brother,I laughed for a week.
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-02-19 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    No more so than the average rock but they are persuasive enough to make even the most diehard grp enthusiast contemplate whether steel might have some merit.

This only really applies if one likes to sail in places where uncharted rocks might be encountered. Others can maintain an air of aloof complacency.
    No-one here is a die hard GRP enthusiast. We just don't swallow the BS fed to us by die hard steel enthusiasts who try to justify the indentured servitude that characterises owning a steel boat when all they really do is sail to places GRP can handle easily and far better from a maintenance point of view.

When you next sail to the Antarctic or wherever for a cruise, I expect it will be in a steel yacht. Likewise, if I decide go to a cold miserably remote godforsaken place, I expect I would choose something other than GRP. But guess what, I don't plan on any such journey so I don't need the pain that comes with owning a steel boat simply to appease the likes of BS and his acolytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    and his acolytes.
    He has any on here?

so I don't need the pain that comes with owning a steel boat
    As mentioned on here many times, you should add "that was badly designed and built in the first place" to that

If you're not planning to get among to few adventurous going far and wide polar or tropical then seems little point going well built steel anyway.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    He has any on here?

As mentioned on here many times, you should add "that was badly designed and built in the first place" to that

If you're not planning to get among to few adventurous going far and wide polar or tropical then seems little point going well built steel anyway.
    Perhaps not to be described as acolytes, but several steel boat owners do support many of his views, which, are bang on.

It is such a shame about the scorn he spouts for others who have a different experience of boating.

It would be a sad world if we all aspired to the same things.
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-02-19 at 22:26.

Page 88 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398 ... LastLast