Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Puilladobhrain information

People who visit this popular Scottish anchorage may be interested to know that the Tigh an Truish hotel is closed for major refurbishment. The bar is open, but there will be no meals for the foreseeable future.

For Sasunnachs, the anchorage and the hotel, which is just over the hill, are on the island of Seil, which is connected to the Scottish mainland by the "Bridge over the Atlantic". After the 1745 Uprising, the wearing of the Tartan was proscribed by the government, and so when leaving the island, men would remove their kilts, and put on trousers. The meaning of Tigh an Truish is "The house of the trousers".

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Default Re: Puilladobhrain information

On behalf of the "sasunnachs in exile" who live north of Berwick-Gretna, thank you!
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    5751.42' N 529.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    For Sasunnachs, the anchorage and the hotel, which is just over the hill, are on the island of Seil, which is connected to the Scottish mainland by the "Bridge over the Atlantic". After the 1745 Uprising, the wearing of the Tartan was proscribed by the government, and so when leaving the island, men would remove their kilts, and put on trousers. The meaning of Tigh an Truish is "The house of the trousers".
    That's the story, but it's a bit dodgy, not least because kilts hadn't been invented then. During the period of the Act of Proscription (1746 - 1782) highlanders would have worn a belted plaid, and there is no particular reason to think that wearing a plaid on the mainland would have been significantly more risky than wearing one on Seil. Still, it's a nice story for the tourists.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

The meaning of Tigh an Truish is "The house of the trousers".
    So I have to wonder - how old is the name? and why else would it have the name?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post

Jonathan
    A quick Google says it's an 18th Century Inn. "Truish" sounds very like "trews".

A quick Google says it's an 18th Century Inn. "Truish" sounds very like "trews".
    The gaelic for trousers is "briogais" (breeks) or "triubhas" (trews). I can't find "Truish" in any of the online dictionaries, but Gaelic orthography has changed a lot over the years and it's quite possible that "truish" is an old spelling of "triubhas".

Even so, there could be lots of reasons for the name. A tailor who made trousers lived there? The landlord in 1734 was the first man on Seil to wear trousers? The landlord was very small (troich = dwarf)? It was a house next to a narrow channel of water (troich = ditch)? Someone wanted an entertaining story to tell the tourists?

The tartan-for-trews (which were traditionally made of tartan, and therefore proscribed ...) story is not impossible, but I think it needs stronger evidence than is normally presented.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

My understanding, materal grandfather from Balvicar, is that tartan (mainly a modern invention) wasn't banned. The garment itself was not allowed as it was multipurpose: a sleeping roll, coat, blanket. This allowed early wild camping. The Forestry Commision or some other government forces didn't like this apparently. Troosers are less adaptable, or were until Craghoppers came along.
    My favourite story is of my Great Uncle rowing for his weekly pint at the pub.

and why else would it have the name?
    I've read another explanation that breeks were made there. Seems more plausible than hanging up one's plaid.
    Ω

Well, whilst this is interesting, I'm disappointed that the OP didn't mention the pontoons which are now almost complete, I understand?
    Also, I did hear that Webcraft had something to do with the Tigh needing to be refurbished. Apparently he opened his wallet a week or two back and the tremors that reverberated through the place, as all the other customers fainted and hit the floor brought the roof down.
    Claymore

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Well, whilst this is interesting, I'm disappointed that the OP didn't mention the pontoons which are now almost complete, I understand?
    Also, I did hear that Webcraft had something to do with the Tigh needing to be refurbished. Apparently he opened his wallet a week or two back and the tremors that reverberated through the place, as all the other customers fainted and hit the floor brought the roof down.
    Pontoons, Puilladobhran in the same sentence??? Or at Balvicar? I think of a whole generation or two who would turn in their grave (or even in anticipation) at the idea of pontoons! by Puilladobhrain??

Where may they be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast