Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Puilladobhrain information

I can assure you that there are no pontoons, and indeed when we sailed in there yesterday, we were the only boat.

Quote Originally Posted by wallacebob View Post
    My understanding, materal grandfather from Balvicar, is that tartan (mainly a modern invention) wasn't banned. The garment itself was not allowed as it was multipurpose: a sleeping roll, coat, blanket.
    The Dress Act said

That from and after the first day of August, One thousand, seven hundred and forty-six, no man or boy within that part of Britain called Scotland, other than such as shall be employed as Officers and Soldiers in His Majesty's Forces, shall, on any pretext whatever, wear or put on the clothes commonly called Highland clothes (that is to say) the Plaid, Philabeg, or little Kilt, Trowse, Shoulder-belts, or any part whatever of what peculiarly belongs to the Highland Garb; and that no tartan or party-coloured plaid of stuff shall be used for Great Coats or upper coats, and if any such person shall presume after the said first day of August, to wear or put on the aforesaid garment or any part of them, every such person so offending ... For the first offence,shall be liable to be imprisoned for 6 months, and on the second offence, to be transported to any of His Majesty's plantations beyond the seas, there to remain for the space of seven years.

I was wrong. The kilt is listed, but I don't think it would have been much in use in the highlands, being a lowland invention. However, I am interested to see that "trowse" were banned as well.

Tartan was definitely around then, and in widespread use, but it wasn't nearly as codified as it is today. Almost all "historic" tartans were invented for Vestiarium Scoticum, a complete fraud of a book published in 1842 to cash in on fashionable Scottishness. See also: Ossian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    I've read another explanation that breeks were made there. Seems more plausible than hanging up one's plaid.
    Much more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    Pontoons, Puilladobhran in the same sentence??? Or at Balvicar? I think of a whole generation or two who would turn in their grave (or even in anticipation) at the idea of pontoons! by Puilladobhrain??
    It's a nice enough place off-season, but in the summer I think Puilladobhran's main use is keeping the sheep away from other anchorages. Whatever the attraction is in squeezing in with thirty other boats, it leaves me cold. Pontoons would presumably turn the numpty-magnet effect up to 11.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

You're not really a happy chappy, are you?

Puilladobhran is full of pontoons and the Tigh an Truish is now a Macdonalds.

Cuan Sound is blocked by tidal turbines and Easdale Island has been towed into the Sound of Jura and used for shelling practice by the navy.

- W

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    You're not really a happy chappy, are you?
    Me? Happy and jolly as the day is long, providing you choose a day before the 17th May or so.

My taste in anchorages is for pleasantly remote and lonely ones. I don't go avoiding company, but I prefer not to have to wedge in with loads of others. So, in the season, no Bull Hole, no Puilladobhran.

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    Cuan Sound is blocked by tidal turbines and Easdale Island has been towed into the Sound of Jura and used for shelling practice by the navy.
    Wasn't there a plan to block quite a lot of Cuan Sound with a fish farm? And the west side of Easdale looks as if it has been shelled already. I like it very much there, and the food is excellent at the Puffer.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Forget all this stuff about tartan and kilts -

Norman - why on earth are you there - its still the middle of winter! I'm impressed - and not surprised that the hostelry is closed, its difficult to make a profit from one intrepid pair.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Forget all this stuff about tartan and kilts -

Norman - why on earth are you there - its still the middle of winter! I'm impressed - and not surprised that the hostelry is closed, its difficult to make a profit from one intrepid pair.

Jonathan
    Ah! The joys of a deck saloon ketch. (With good heating)

We were just out on our shakedown cruise, and even had some sunshine, and a hint of warmth. Huh! we had a day in Sydney a couple of months ago, and it rained.

Sadly it has not rained since

You are an example to us all.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I can assure you that there are no pontoons, and indeed when we sailed in there yesterday, we were the only boat.
    Phew... That's the way I like anchorages. Only been in Puilladobhrain 3 times in the last 10 years, with only 2 or 3 other boats. That's tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    Phew... That's the way I like anchorages. Only been in Puilladobhrain 3 times in the last 10 years, with only 2 or 3 other boats. That's tolerable
    It's quite nice like that, though I did once have great fun tacking all the way to the south end when I was hair-shirting it without an engine and there were about twenty other boats in. Up popped faces in twenty cockpits, swivelling to and from as if watching a tennis match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast