Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations needed for island hopping at Aegean Greece

Hi All,

I will be taking my boat from Marmaris/Turkey to Athens in June. The trip is planned to take around 3 weeks. Although 3 weeks look like a long time, there are tens of islands that can be seen and I have difficulty in choosing which ones to visit. I have visited the islands that are close to Turkey (Dodecanese), so I will pass them quickly. The first question to solve is the balance of the time spent between the mid Aegean islands (Cyclades) and the islands that are close to mainland Greece (Saronic). I simply don't know which area is nicer. The below photo may give you better idea of the area:

aegean4.png

And here is a map of my planned itinerary:

Aegean6.jpg

As it is not possible to read island names from the map, let me write down the planned islands that are shown on the map:
    Simi
    Nisyros
    Astipalia
    Ios (leaving the boat there and ferrying to Santorini for one night and back)
    Milos
    Syros
    Hydra
    Dokos
    Poros
    Athens

I am sure that there are people here who are experienced with the area. I will be glad to receive info about any other "must be seen" islands, different itinerary suggestions, bays to be visited, anchorages, marinas and any other info that you may suggest as useful.

Thanks.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Recommendations needed for island hopping at Aegean Greece

Rather difficult to recommend any without knowing what your preferences are. Personally I would not bother with Syros, would not go the Hydra in my own boat, although it is charming in somebody else's that doesn't mind rafting three or four deep stern-to the quay. I think it is a rather stretched intinerary and I would prefer to remain in the Cyclades but if you like longer passages then fair enough.

Marinas is easy, there aren't any.

I would not miss Rineia for quiet, crystal clear water and attractive anchorages. with the possibility of visiting the ancient ruins of Delos just opposite.
    Kythnos is very pleasant with a protected harbour on the east side and the fabulous Sand-bar bay on the west.
    Paros is good, plenty of lively places if you want them, good anchorages and worth hiring a car.
    In Milos don't miss the mining museum.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    Ios (leaving the boat there and ferrying to Santorini for one night and back)
    A good choice, by our experience, since that is how we visited Santorini having tried to park and land and given up and gone back to Ios. We had crew/passengers flying to Santorini to join us who had to take the ferry too!

Why staying overnight? We just did a day trip.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Rather difficult to recommend any without knowing what your preferences are. Personally I would not bother with Syros, would not go the Hydra in my own boat, although it is charming in somebody else's that doesn't mind rafting three or four deep stern-to the quay. I think it is a rather stretched intinerary and I would prefer to remain in the Cyclades but if you like longer passages then fair enough.

Marinas is easy, there aren't any.

I would not miss Rineia for quiet, crystal clear water and attractive anchorages. with the possibility of visiting the ancient ruins of Delos just opposite.
    Kythnos is very pleasant with a protected harbour on the east side and the fabulous Sand-bar bay on the west.
    Paros is good, plenty of lively places if you want them, good anchorages and worth hiring a car.
    In Milos don't miss the mining museum.
    Yes, I forgot to mention about our group. We are two families with teenage children. We mostly like quiet places with natural surroundings. No need to say that I prefer safe anchorages that will enable me to have a good sleep. However I think it is very rare in that region with the famous meltemi!

Names like Rineia, Kythnos and Poros help me a lot. Clearing out Syros as well. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    A good choice, by our experience, since that is how we visited Santorini having tried to park and land and given up and gone back to Ios. We had crew/passengers flying to Santorini to join us who had to take the ferry too!

Why staying overnight? We just did a day trip.

Mike.
    Well, we can do a day trip, in case that there is a return boat at night. I would like to watch the famous sunset from Oia

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    I would like to watch the famous sunset from Oia
    You will find that almost everywhere you go in the Aegean the sunsets are spectacular, and locals at each will tell you that this is the best location for watching it.

I've put together a qualitative description of many of the Cyclades islands, and evolved them over time by editing in comments posted on the web site by its readers,

See http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/cyclades, or if you can't remember that, google "jimb cyclades", and that page usually comes up top of the list!
    JimB
    jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Mentioned above is Kythnos. Lovely place. East side is Loutra which is well protected. In the bay there is a small hot water spring.

On the west side there is a ferry port, Merika, which has the usual tavernas, etc., but also on top of a hill above the port is a place called Rock Castle. It is a bar which is run by a musician.
    Just to the north of Merika as mentioned by Vyv Cox, there is an island that is connected to Kythnos by a thin strip of sand. I think this geological feature is called a Tombola. Anyway, it is a quiet bay with a hot water spring on the beach.

Milos is very interesting. Worth staying for a couple of days. Visit the catacombs, go up to the hora and the mining museum.

We have had a couple of dragging experiences at Merika. The bottom is very weedy there so we avoid it nowadays.

We have anchored in all the places I mentioned in post #2 in lots of wind. Milos is the only dodgy one there, the bay inside the extinct volcano is so large that waves are generated regardless of wind direction. The galloping pontoons off the town are notorious, so I would only free anchor there unless it is very quiet. Ferry wash can also cause problems. In southerlies you would need to anchor opposite the town, maybe a mile away.

I would not miss out on Hydra. I agree that the town quay is impossible. However the next bay along is Mandraki and you can go stern to the shore. A water taxi can ferry you to the main town.

You do need to be aware that the Meltimemi can blow for several days on end. It can trap you and ruin your itineray. Make shore you look ahead on the forecasts and look for bolt holes if necessary. Naousa on Paros is one. THere is also a marina on Naxos if required.

If it helps, I have described a lot of my Aegean travels in my blog

TudorSailor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast