Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you buy this boat?

I have come across a twin engined boat (around 45ft, early 2000s vintage) which looks to all intents and purposes like it could be worth going to see. Twin Volvo P500 IPSs.

However, the broker has disclosed that the engine bay had previously been flooded and the engines went into limp home mode due to the boatyard not correctly closing the seawater filter lids.

The boat was immediately taken ashore and the engines were removed and checked over. All electricals in that compartment were replaced.

They have an engineer's report saying that it is all fine (minor corrosion to certain non-essential elements, could be general age rather than caused by this incident). Obviously, if I go ahead I would want my own report done.

What are your thoughts? My concern is with resale more than actual usability.

Default Re: Would you buy this boat?

Not many IPS boats from the early 2000s so I'm going to assume its a Rodman 41 Firstly congratulations to the broker for having the honesty to admit that the boat had been flooded in the past. The first and most obvious thing to say is that because of the flooding this boat is not worth market value so I hope youre talking about a selling price well below market value. If not walk away because as you point out, resale will be an issue. Second, as with any secondhand purchase, a detailed survey and engine/drives condition report is an absolute must irrespective of the previous engineer's report. Third if you are financing this boat via a marine mortgage you should tell them about this issue in case it affects their ability to fund it

I would say that if you really want this boat and you can buy it for a below market value price and a survey/engine condition report is acceptable, then why not?

When I was looking for Targa 40's I came across one that had had an engine room flooding incident, again caused by a wrongly-fitted raw water strainer cap. Although the boat was immediately lifted when the flooding was discovered, the received wisdom was that corrosion issues in the electrical installation would be a recurring issue in the future, and on that basis I walked away.

I wouldn't buy a early IPS boat even if the engine bay hadn't been flooded!

I wouldn’t buy a car that had been flooded with fresh water. Whatever the discount you get will be negated when you come to sell it on, as I’m sure you would make a full disclosure

Walk away .
    Put three so called engineers in the ER room and you will get 3 different opinions on what may happen next .

Early IPS is a separate issue that divides opinion too .

You need to be a good sleeper at nights to tackle that

Quote Originally Posted by Solent Sailor View Post
    I have come across a twin engined boat (around 45ft, early 2000s vintage) which looks to all intents and purposes like it could be worth going to see. Twin Volvo P500 IPSs.

However, the broker has disclosed that the engine bay had previously been flooded and the engines went into limp home mode due to the boatyard not correctly closing the seawater filter lids.

The boat was immediately taken ashore and the engines were removed and checked over. All electricals in that compartment were replaced.

They have an engineer's report saying that it is all fine (minor corrosion to certain non-essential elements, could be general age rather than caused by this incident). Obviously, if I go ahead I would want my own report done.

What are your thoughts? My concern is with resale more than actual usability.
    If the engines were removed , flushed out with oil and the wiring looms along with all electrical components changed then it will be good , if it’s just been flushed with fresh water then forget it .

The early IPS is an issue and could cost 12 to 14 k when it goes wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I wouldn't buy a early IPS boat even if the engine bay hadn't been flooded!
    +1. Have heard some horror stories on repair costs on those early units. So partially flooded and early IPS.... RUN IMHO!

I will dig into the remedial work done.
    Last edited by Solent Sailor; 03-05-18 at 11:20.

Run away as fast as you can, there's lots of boats out there. Don't give it another thought.
    IPS started appearing about 2007 on Rodman's, so 2008 is still early IPS. 2006 and earlier Rodman 41 have tamd74s and shafts, lovely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast