Default Wykeham Martin furlers - remove headsails when leaving boat?

Twin headsails, both with Wykeham Martin furlers. The question is should I remove the headsails when I leave the boat, or are a couple of turns of the sheets round the sails plus an extra sail tie sufficient?

Default Re: Wykeham Martin furlers - remove headsails when leaving boat?

It depends, if the forecast is fine and you feel OK then leave them for a few days, if not stow them. Personally when I had a boat with these I always stowed them if leaving her for more than a few days and I never felt they were as secure as a roller reefing headsail with a foil. In addition if your headsails don't have a sacrificial strip they will suffer UV damage over time.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not much trouble to remove the sails, they’re not very big. The sensible thing is obviously to remove them. I’m not sure why I asked in the first place - just hoping I could get away with being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guise View Post
    It depends, if the forecast is fine and you feel OK then leave them for a few days, if not stow them. Personally when I had a boat with these I always stowed them if leaving her for more than a few days and I never felt they were as secure as a roller reefing headsail with a foil. In addition if your headsails don't have a sacrificial strip they will suffer UV damage over time.
    I mostly leave mine rolled, but lowered so it lies on deck, then a couple of ties to keep it rolled and tied to something.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk