Default Summer cruise and winter hard standing in France

Hi, plan for this summer is to deliver my 10m yacht from Ireland to La Rochelle in mid June and then fly down with the wife and kids mid July for 4-5 weeks and slowly work our way north towards the golfe de Morbihan/Lorient area and then leave the boat there on the hard next winter. Just got a mail from La Roche Bernard to say they have no hard standing space next winter. Few question for those that may be more used to that area;

Where is best/cheapest marina to leave boat around La Rochelle area mid June to mid July
    What options do i have for winter storage?

Thanks

Default Re: Summer cruise and winter hard standing in France

Lorient town centre.

Try Rochefort. I kept my own boat there for 8 winters. They have dedicated areas for winter storage and a great team of guys working the crane and tractors. It is a fair way up the river and the lock only opens once at the top of the tide but that isn't a problem for longer stays. The town is also interesting. It is about 20 minutes train from La Rochelle.
    Ningaloo - Hanse 385

Rochefort is my local. Prices are much lower than La Rochelle/Minimes. The Railway station is not far from the marina.
    e.g. Pontoon price for a 27ft is around €1300 pa . In LR it is €2400.

There is a fixed crane (disconnect your backstay) that lifts you onto a hydraulic trailer towed by a tractor to the hard standing enclosure. Cradle supplied.
    Last edited by DownWest; 17-04-18 at 06:54.

La Rochelle does not offer long term storage ashore and the marina berths can be subject to swell. The marina there was partially destroyed by a winter storm during my time at Rochefort although that was several years ago.
    La Rochelle might be an option for a shorter stay in the summer, but as DownWest has commented, it is probably worth the trip up the river to get into Rochefort for their lower prices.

One year I provisionally arranged a few weeks summer stay at Vannes, however en-route I met someone at one of the local yacht clubs just up the river from Lorient who offered me his swinging mooring whilst he was away on his summer cruise. I had to get it all signed off by the local council who owned the mooring which was a test of my French, but it worked out really well.
    Ningaloo - Hanse 385

The North West, either England, Wales or France

For winter, AFAIK Arzal-Camoel on the Vilaine is the cheapest marina in Atlantic France with abundant hardstanding. Ive been there for 5 years.
    Rochefort is your best bet for the June storage. If you intend to use marinas most nights during your cruise it may be worth getting a contract with Arzal (c. €700 for 6 months) giving you a Passeport Escale with extensive free marina access from L' Aber Wrac'h southwards to Spain, though only for 2 consecutive days at a time.
    http://www.compagniedesportsdumorbih...rzal-camoel-en

Another +1 for Arzal. Good yard for wintering with good security, although not much else happening around it.

Thank you, lots of great suggestions there and i have sent emails requesting details, may see you over the coming summer/winter