Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Boat fall tragedy in Weymouth

Sad news. A local man has died after a boat that was stored in Weymouth Sailing Club yard fell on him. I have heard more details but since these are rumours I won't repeat them here.

RIP.

See here.

Default Re: Boat fall tragedy in Weymouth

A terrible accident. My condolences to all those affected.

With the HSE involved I suspect, depending upon the circumstances of this incident, that a light may be shone on the way that boats are 'sometimes' amateurishly propped up when on the hard. There may be far reaching repercussions for boat yards and yacht clubs ahead.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    There may be far reaching repercussions for boat yards and yacht clubs ahead.
    We are the nearest club and are currently (wind permitting) trying to launch our keelboats. I'm on the lift team and our commodore has already asked us to produce our safety assessments regarding the lifts in and out. We are wondering whether any official checks regarding boat storage will need to be made for insurance purposes. We already have our supply of lifting gear (strops, shackles, small crane etc) inspected twice yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
    Sad news. A local man has died after a boat that was stored in Weymouth Sailing Club yard fell on him. I have heard more details but since these are rumours I won't repeat them here.

RIP.

See here.
    Sadly, boat reported to be a GK 29, name Ginny Kwik, owner was a 56 yr old company director.

I was at work in the harbour yesterday when this happened. Lots of shocked people.

I had Remi rafted outside Ginny Kwik a few weeks ago, the GK got moved to the WSC yard, her owner left Remi beautifully moored with all lines neat and spiralled on the pontoon. I appreciated the effort and care taken.

RIP
    RM 880 || Twitter: @YachtRemi

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Some photos in this report, leaving aside the some rather obvious errors

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...den-yacht.html

Very sad news and, I suspect, very unusual.

We had some high winds here in the night and it's been very gusty this morning so I wonder whether that was a factor yesterday.

Richard

Without wishing to speculate too much, the presence of blue masking tape on the water line and the Sainbury's carrier bags over the cradle pads on the port side would suggest he may have been anti-fouling. Lowered a leg to paint underneath the pad perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by emsworthy View Post
    Without wishing to speculate too much, the presence of blue masking tape on the water line and the Sainbury's carrier bags over the cradle pads on the port side would suggest he may have been anti-fouling. Lowered a leg to paint underneath the pad perhaps?
    Very sad to hear of this.

It does look like he was just anti-fouling, but I couldn't see either a cradle or props in the photo so hard to speculate what happened but I guess unlikely to have taken a prop out. Most yards are good about letting you do the patches afterwards in slings so I can't see why he'd need to lower a leg of a cradle or remove a prop. May have just been the wind.

Oh my goodness, terrible news. Sobering thought given that most of us will have been standing in exactly that position sometime over the past few weeks.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast