Default Eberspacher playing up

Has been running great, serviced regularly. Last week fired up as normal then after running for 2 minutes or so shut down. Several restarts all resulted in the same pattern. Engine running during start ups. Fuel fresh. Any ideas?

Default Re: Eberspacher playing up

Go look at the wealth of wisdom here, they helped me rebuild my 5kw D5 Eber.

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk...r_intro_1.html

A common culprit, assuming the fuel is getting through, and pump ticking away, is the metal mesh gauze screen on the burner unit becoming coked, or failure/crud of heater plug. In many models they are easy enough to get at, and likely ~ £50 from eBay for the pair. Worthwhile spares to have if you depend on the heater, say, liveaboards like us.

I was highly impressed with the design and engineering quality, all came apart without much grief, and with a few exceptions, very accessible. I gather some other brands/models are not as easy, and parts expensive.

But, before getting tools out, do some detective work, listen for fan, purging, and pump starting up, the start up sequence, until the 'flame detector' (can't think of proper name) says all systems ok and allows it to continue to run. Some controllers have a diagnostic feature to help diagnosis.

If ours is failing after 2 mins, then i think its not fully through the start-up sequence, testing, etc, which is something over 3 mins.

Good luck. Phil

Air inlet blocked in the cabin? Yes I've done that before...wasted a day looking for a more technical problem!

What vintage is the heater? Sounds like it is failing before a start so likely to be a component out of range or short/open circuit.

Welcome to call me and I’ll talk you through quickly.
    Electrics & electronics Suffolk & Southwold Boatyard
    Custom Panels + Eberspacher/Webasto

Thanks for that. It actually fires up and runs with hot air coming out but then shuts down after several minutes. Any significance?

Quote Originally Posted by mdonnelly View Post
    Thanks for that. It actually fires up and runs with hot air coming out but then shuts down after several minutes. Any significance?
    Without knowing the exact model hard to make any accurate diagnosis - but what your describing, could be quite common for all types: overheating, probably due to blockage in the air passage.

Thanks for advice. Not sure if it’s vintage but will give the air passages a thorough investigation.