Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Time Buyer

I'm a complete newbie to the boating world and looking into buying a Maxum 1800 from a broker. I am due to view the boat, but if all is good, I guess arranging for a surveyor would be best? I have read in places that it is only really needed for over 20ft. Any help and suggestions are much appreciated!!

Default Re: First Time Buyer

Being a newbie, unless you can take a knowledgeable mate to look at her, a surveyor would be my choice. I cant see a boat less than 20ft being any less prone to problems than a bigger one. I'm guessing a broker will not take any responsibility for the boat, so consider how much you are spending and how much extra (survey fee) would you pay for some peace of mind?

To my mind, it is not so much size that leads the requirement for a survey, it's more about value. If the boat is pocket money, and if you know a bit about boats, it probably isn't worth getting a survey. If, however, the price is a significant sum to you, and you know nothing about boats, it is probably worth a few hundred quid to get an expert eye cast over it.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Welcome to the boaty world.
    As basic guide the hull of your boat will be virtually bullet proof and not much to go wrong in the way of hidden problems.
    If it looks neat and tidy with no rips or tears in the upholstery or decay or mould underneath carpets and lockers good to go.
    The mechanicals are a different can of worms, 99.99 % percent of grief will be as result of poor servicing by previous owners.
    Even an external glance by a novice can reveal info.
    Is the paint on leg and engine bright and shiney with no obvious weeps and leaks,
    Is the original paint on nuts, bolts and fastenings are there signs of not to careful repairs ?
    A big folder of servicing bills will be reassuring, especially anything to do with the exhaust risers , a notorious source of problems on Mercruiser raw water cooled engines.
    This forum is the ideal place to go forth and buy a boat, to be forewarned is to be forearmed.
    Do some forum searches on Petrol Mercruisers, find the right boat, pay the right money and loads of fun awaits.
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-04-18 at 11:47.

Thanks for the help! I've arranged to view so will be able to keep an eye out for anything obvious, but I think a survey will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Klausius View Post
    Thanks for the help! I've arranged to view so will be able to keep an eye out for anything obvious, but I think a survey will be needed.
    It's a difficult call but I think that would be a safe call. Far from being bullet proof a lot of the smaller boats in my experience have suffered from transom, stringer or deck rot or water saturated foam filled cavities, although I have no specific knowledge of the Maxim 1800 and that specific model may well be bullet proof. So where as you may not need a surveyor in the same sense a large motorboat needs one you still need someone who can verify there is no rot to be concerned with

remember a surveyor might not know about engines

......a bit of builders hyperbole

http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/news/...r3-2006-review

As for rot , can relate chapter and verse on late 1970s Regal boasting a pair of petrol Mecruisers with outdrives loosely attached via a transom made up of reconstituted cardboard.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a survey on a boat that size but I would have the engine checked over - compression test etc. A seatrial should tell you the rest - get the broker to demonstrate all electrics etc - that's what they get paid for.

Surveys are useful if you know next to nothing about boats. Be aware however that they are often full of disclaimers and sometimes errors. The last one I saw said the following:

Engines KAD 32 X 2 ----------- The boat had one engine
    Windlass not working --------------- The boat had no windlass
    Bow thruster not working -----------The boat had no bow thruster

It contained loads of standard waffle about Osmosis which got me concerned and percentages but it turned out the boat had no shch issue

I counted over 12 disclaimers in it.

If possible see if you can get a friend to come along with you who know about boats to give it the once over.

Also for a first boat at the size you are suggesting I would try and buy one with a 2 stroke outboard. These tend to be very reliable and have far less potential for problems

Dennis
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast