Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What Engine Spares?

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Something to consider is how easy it is to fit a part. CAV fuel filters are fine if you're changing them all the time and , but a nightmare on a bumpy night with the crew screaming about the rocks that are getting closer.
    Non planned fuel filter replacement is normally down to fuel bug or a lot of crud in the bottom of the fuel tank which is shaken up on a bumpy ride. Changing the filter is a very short term solution, as the source of the problem needs fixing.
    The other problem you might get is water in the fuel. Purging a water trap below the filter is an easy fix, but again, the water needs to be removed from the tank.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

T link belt. If your alternator bearing fails it will cease to rotate and so will your engine water circulation pump.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Non planned fuel filter replacement is normally down to fuel bug or a lot of crud in the bottom of the fuel tank which is shaken up on a bumpy ride. Changing the filter is a very short term solution, as the source of the problem needs fixing.
    The other problem you might get is water in the fuel. Purging a water trap below the filter is an easy fix, but again, the water needs to be removed from the tank.
    It was crud in the tank that had been shaken up by a very bumpy trip through the typical F7 Solent chop. The tank only had a couple of gallons left, so that allowed it to slosh around. Unfortunately, fuel tank removal on a Snapdragon 24 starts with an angle grinder and goes downhill from there and the only access is the filler cap, so the crud is still there, but I don't let the tank go below about half full, so the fuel can't slosh around.

I agree that the solution is to get rid of the crud/bug, but one tends only to discover there's a problem when the filter blocks, which is, almost by definition, never at a convenient time or suitable sea state. In such a situation, an easy short-term solution can save an awful lot of grief, maybe even lives.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I Live near Cambridge and sail the wash and east coast

It was crud in the tank that had been shaken up by a very bumpy trip through the typical F7 Solent chop. The tank only had a couple of gallons left, so that allowed it to slosh around. Unfortunately, fuel tank removal on a Snapdragon 24 starts with an angle grinder and goes downhill from there and the only access is the filler cap, so the crud is still there, but I don't let the tank go below about half full, so the fuel can't slosh around.

I agree that the solution is to get rid of the crud/bug, but one tends only to discover there's a problem when the filter blocks, which is, almost by definition, never at a convenient time or suitable sea state. In such a situation, an easy short-term solution can save an awful lot of grief, maybe even lives.
    I got one of these for 17 from ebay as I have a tank that has stood got 8 years plus hopefully Iwill get most of the crud and water using this then it doubles as an oil change pump
    s-l500.jpg

I've got one that I use for oil changes. I know I really ought to try and clean the tank, but I'm a great believer in letting sleeping dogs lie (translation: I'm an idle git) Still, since the boat's out of the water for the summer so I can do all the stuff I couldn't do during the winter because I was ill, I really ought to add it to the list.

OTOH, I hadn't had a problem in spite of not changing a filter for 10 years...
    Steve

I've got one that I use for oil changes. I know I really ought to try and clean the tank, but I'm a great believer in letting sleeping dogs lie (translation: I'm an idle git) Still, since the boat's out of the water for the summer so I can do all the stuff I couldn't do during the winter because I was ill, I really ought to add it to the list.

OTOH, I hadn't had a problem in spite of not changing a filter for 10 years...
    Thing is.....we own boats and just really waiting for the next thing to go wrong aren't we? I also hadn't changed the primary filter on my 3GM some years ago and when I did little crud was showing. A year or two later we ground to a halt with the "bug". Can't do without cable ties and duck tape...........and hammer and wood saw of course.

Can't do without cable ties and duck tape...........and hammer and wood saw of course.

Plus a few bits of wood. BTW, has anyone mentioned suitably sized wooden plugs tied on next to each through hull? Of course, none of these are engine spares but, as with all spares, you'll only need 'em if you haven't got 'em, just like the selection of split pins and stuff that's gathering dust in my junk locker
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar
    BTW, has anyone mentioned suitably sized wooden plugs tied on next to each through hull?
    I used a tapered wood bung for the first time recently - finally justifying buying then many years ago. Arrived at boat and soon noticed no cooling water from the exhaust, fortunately I was on the way to the pontoon from my mooring so only needed to travel a couple of hundred meters. Investigations revealed that turning the sea-cock handle actually had no effect on the ball within. Changing for a new one (something else that has been cluttering up the bosun's locker for years) was a relatively painless task with the use of the wooden bung.
    Last edited by cindersailor; 24-04-18 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Crossing Biscay I had a raw water pump bearing go, which squirted water onto the belt causing it to slip, which overheated the exhaust water, which blew the exhaust hose.
    So I now carry a spare water pump , a length of exhaust hose, a couple of stainless sleeves to fit in the hose and a roll of heavy duty Gorilla self amalgimating tape, plus large jubilee clips. I got the pump bearing fixed in La Coruna.
    I also carry flexible and solid fuel pipes plus olives.
    I've also had a starter motor fail, but a strip and clean solved that.
    I had a water pump bearing break down in a matter of hours from no drops to water pouring out. Bought a new pump and had the old one refurbished to keep as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by DipperToo View Post
    I had a water pump bearing break down in a matter of hours from no drops to water pouring out. Bought a new pump and had the old one refurbished to keep as a spare.
    After getting the bearing fixed the pump went back into service. The new one is my spare, I had to get a new bracket made for it, as the old model had been superceded and the new fitting was different.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123