Question Leisure Instrument Battery jumpack

Hi all

I a have a decent marine engine start battery (18HP) on my boat and a separate battery for Instruments. The instrument battery loses its charge very quickly when the engine is not running even with only basic instruments turned on. If I connected the a battery jumpack to this Instrument battery would the instruments continue to work from it?

I have readh good reviews of the Cobra starters that are on Force 4 and Amazon. This would be a much cheaper alternative than buying a new battery
    So in theory I want to be able to turn off my engine and connect the jumpack to the reserve Instrument battery and have the power fed from this rather than have to keep starting the engine.
    Is this possible?

Many thanks
    Rory

Default Re: Leisure Instrument Battery jumpack

sorry, the battery is 12v, the engine is 18hp

Hello Rory

What size is your house battery bank and what is your power consumption?

I survive quite happily on 110 amp hours, but don't run things like fridges and TVs.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by roryon33 View Post
    I a have a decent marine engine start battery (18HP) on my boat and a separate battery for Instruments. The instrument battery loses its charge very quickly when the engine is not running even with only basic instruments turned on. If I connected the a battery jumpack to this Instrument battery would the instruments continue to work from it?
    Yes, but not for long as you'd be draining the jump start into the dead battery.

I have readh good reviews of the Cobra starters that are on Force 4 and Amazon. This would be a much cheaper alternative than buying a new battery
    They cost 85 for a 6Ah battery! For less than half that, you could get an ordinary automotive jump starter with probably twice the capacity. Or buy a proper 12v battery and have a small solar panel to keep it topped up.

So in theory I want to be able to turn off my engine and connect the jumpack to the reserve Instrument battery and have the power fed from this rather than have to keep starting the engine.
    Is this possible?
    How do you charge the reserve battery ?

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge