Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Fuel Set (Fuel treatment for bug etc) Anyone used it?

An obvious tip I didn't think of until someone mentioned it to me:

The simplest, safest way to sump the bottom of the tank for water or junk is your oil change vacuum. It will only pull a gallon or so, but typically, that is all you want to pull! You may need to extend the hose with a bit of stiff metal tubing, or even some copper that you can bend to reach the right corner.

Really funny, since I used to work in refineries where we would use 50 barrel vacuum trucks to sump huge tanks. Same thing, just different scale. I didn't make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    An obvious tip I didn't think of until someone mentioned it to me:

The simplest, safest way to sump the bottom of the tank for water or junk is your oil change vacuum. It will only pull a gallon or so, but typically, that is all you want to pull! You may need to extend the hose with a bit of stiff metal tubing, or even some copper that you can bend to reach the right corner.

Really funny, since I used to work in refineries where we would use 50 barrel vacuum trucks to sump huge tanks. Same thing, just different scale. I didn't make the connection.
    It is a good idea. The issue that does crop up is many larger tanks have baffles so it is difficult to syphon up all the sludge, also this stuff can be quite sticky so it is not that easy to dislodge.

I think that is why the ideal technique is to pump polished fuel back into the tank under pressure to stir everything up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    It is a good idea. The issue that does crop up is many larger tanks have baffles so it is difficult to syphon up all the sludge, also this stuff can be quite sticky so it is not that easy to dislodge.

I think that is why the ideal technique is to pump polished fuel back into the tank under pressure to stir everything up properly.
    The pump is just for water.

Recirculating is a better idea, in some circumstances. However, the ideal method will always be to empty and actually clean the tank. Polishing only handles that which is easily suspended. To me, it always feels like an expensive stop gap.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    The pump is just for water.

Recirculating is a better idea, in some circumstances. However, the ideal method will always be to empty and actually clean the tank. Polishing only handles that which is easily suspended. To me, it always feels like an expensive stop gap.
    So long as your polishing or cleaning system is more effective at removing the dirt or water than your engine system is, it's good.
    In my view, the object is not to have the tank surgically clean once in 3 years, it's to keep it always clean enough that the dirt and water will never be too much for the filters to handle.
    Also it's good to always know what state the fuel is in.
    I just want to know that if the tank gets shaken up by a choppy sea, the engine will keep going.

I used fuel set, in several thousand litres of fuel a year. One basic sedimenter and the regulation two Crosland 522s on the engine. Never any problems, but bear in mind the Ford dover doesn't suffer much anyway.

I have tried the water detection paste in the fuel tank and fuel from the separator bowl, the paste didn't change colour so there is no water which is good. Still not sure about continuing to use fuel set though [20 quid!!] and Beta advised against it. It would be good to know for certain what caused the outbreak of white gunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Hi, yes silicone grease or vaseline. It's an old aluminium fitting that will seize up given half change with seawater around. Not too much, don't want that in the fuel as well !
    Quite a cocktail of chemistry.
    Diesel
    Additives
    Aluminium corrosion
    Water
    Silicone
    Vaseline.
    Salt.

I'd suggest simplifying life by buying a decent deck fitting in plastic instead of additives.

I can't believe I'm reading about deck fittings straight to the tank. Fit a big deck fitting, and a separate filler cap inside.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading about deck fittings straight to the tank.
    A lot of boats are built that way. A fuel flap and filler as used on cars would be better than most mororboat arrangements.

It's only a Sadler26, there's about 6" between the filler in the deck and the top of the tank. Been fine for the last 35 years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234