Default Octoplait splice to chain?

I have done a fair bit of splicing before, large eyes, to thimbles,in to chain and also with backsplices for moorings and anchor bridles/lines but always with 3 strand. I have just spliced some 12mm nylon octoplait into 8mm chain and even thought I have followed the splicing instructions exactly I am not happy that the result is right. Why I am saying that is when I tension the splice by pulling on the chain and rope there is a small movement right up to the end of the splice and it looks as if the end section where the 4 pairs ends are split and rejoined to a like twisted end and heat sealed is what is stopping it from just pulling through and I do not think would withstand anchoring tensions..
    It looks right according to pictures of correctly made splice, it is done with 14 chain links but I am not convinced. I wonder whether 12mm into 8mm chain is just too small as each of the 4 pairs is only about 6mm of pretty loose fibres and passing through the chain links is quite loose even the 1st link where all 4 pairs pass through two pairs one way and two pairs the other way.
    Any ideas on this. I suppose I could redo the splice and backsplice from what woiuld normally be the end back towards the rope although I have never seen that done but should work?

Default Re: Octoplait splice to chain?

If you look here:

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_rc.php?dimensions

Maxwell seem to suggesting 14/16mm rope for 8mm chain.

Look at the thread on chain piling up - Thinwater has suggestions on chain to rope splices - though I don't recall he mentions sizes. He might be along later - he's done a lot of work in this area for Practical Sailor. However note that a 5/16th" link, he's from the Chesapeake, though it is nominally 8mm is a bigger link and may need even bigger cordage.

I'm in no way expert and am not going to pretend same

Jonathan

Jonathan

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Jimmy Green use 12mm or 14mm.

Perhaps a photo might be useful?

I think from the link for rope/chain sizing I should have used 14mm for 8mm chain-doh. Better to learn from others mistakes than insist on making your own. A backsplice on chain it is-I may patent it when I have worked out how to do it!

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    I think from the link for rope/chain sizing I should have used 14mm for 8mm chain-doh. Better to learn from others mistakes than insist on making your own. A backsplice on chain it is-I may patent it when I have worked out how to do it!
    To late

instructions here

http://www.sw-marine.co.uk/acatalog/...in_Splice.html

For a single link splice

http://www.yalecordage.com/splicing-and-instructions
    Last edited by Rogershaw; 21-04-18 at 13:25.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I can't imagine the shovel splice version. I hate those going through a windlass.

This. Though it seems more complex, I think you will like it better.
    http://www.yalecordage.com/applicati...ain_splice.pdf
    012158.jpg
    Last edited by thinwater; 22-04-18 at 04:39.

TW - any ideas on the difference in breaking strength between the long splice rope-to-chain and the back splice round just one link, please ?

The latter looks like a candidate for hardening under load, and doesn't appear to share the load along the plait.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    TW - any ideas on the difference in breaking strength between the long splice rope-to-chain and the back splice round just one link, please ?

The latter looks like a candidate for hardening under load, and doesn't appear to share the load along the plait.
    The one-link splice is recommended by most windlass manufacturers and is 100% strength. As for compatibility with any specific windlass, I have found some windlasses like one, and some like the other. I'm sure it also depends on the rope. It is also helpful to make the splice rather loose, not snugging aggressive but using more passes.

The best of all worlds would be a variation of the irony splice in plaited rope. I'm sure it is doable, just a little tedious to perfect.
    * pull 2 strands out way back.
    * make the 1-link splice with 6 strands each way. Stagger the endings.
    * work the 2 strands back in, trimming at staggered lengths.
    Last edited by thinwater; 22-04-18 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post

Flash back! My mum boat the same table cover when I was still in primary school, 1970's. `used to pick the centres out of the squares.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984