Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Anchoring App - Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Righto

You have no GPS onboard then, far to easy to forget any nav and rely on it, never once used a calculator onboard?

Or just talk the usual forum old tosh

He won' t have any fingers to spare for that, they will all be occupied scratching because of his hair shirt

Righto

You have no GPS onboard then, far to easy to forget any nav and rely on it, never once used a calculator onboard?

Or just talk the usual forum old tosh
    There must be at least five GPS devices on board, really useful for the collection of data, and I do check my manual calculations against the super duper accurate position they all give me. Got to admit there is no calculator on board, but I could use the phone if I wanted.

I actually enjoy navigating the "old fashioned" way, but I get to play with some massive computers at work. When I close the office door I like to switch off from all that technology. I find it faster to work out that the at high water the depth will be say 10 meters and multiply that by four, my preferred scope other multipliers are available, giving me 40 meters of rode to set out. All done in less time than it took me to go below, find the phone (it is never where you thought you left it) and do what ever I needed to do to get the figure 40.

Now where did I place that family heirloom the sun-shadow board? If only I could get the hang of these new fangled Cardinal Markers
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I find it faster to work out that the at high water the depth will be say 10 meters and multiply that by four, my preferred scope other multipliers are available, giving me 40 meters of rode to set out. All done in less time than it took me to go below, find the phone
    So anyone else dog tired at 3am wanting a quick double check of mental arithmetic to make sure there will be couple meters under the keel with a water depth of 6.2, tidal height of 3.6 and lw of 0.3 isn't allowed to double check cos it will only lead to relying on technology which might go down?

Righto

So anyone else dog tired at 3am wanting a quick double check of mental arithmetic to make sure there will be couple meters under the keel with a water depth of 6.2, tidal height of 3.6 and lw of 0.3 isn't allowed to double check cos it will only lead to relying on technology which might go down?

Righto
    Use it if you want, you are the skipper.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

In common with some others - I'm not in the least bit interested in an app to calculate what to deploy - if I cannot do it in my head I'm too old and need to retire, from sailing.

Sorry if I appear to be a luddite.

Jonathan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234