Default Ray marine ST60 tridata help - speed readout giving random numbers

So the boat came fitted with an early (1996) ST40 bidata.
    Separate transponders and the depth has never worked.

Decided to buy new transponder and ST60 tri to replace.
    Depth now works.

Speed though just shows 655knts even with the transponder disconnected.
    Did a reset to factory settings and with the unit in repeater mode the speed shows ---- with nothing attached, as I would expect.

Make it back to master unit for speed and hey presto we are setting world records on the berth.
    I know the speed transponder works with the ST40. I think the ST60 is ok as it works on other settings.
    The speed transducer doesn't have the temp sender so only 3 wires not 5, but since the fault occours when no wires are connected I can't see that this is the cause.

Anyone able to suggest what might be up?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Default Re: Ray marine ST60 tridata help - speed readout giving random numbers

I understand Raymarine to have a really good tech help line?
    See the rainbow not the rain

I seem to remember you need a resistor in place of the missing temperature sensor or the ST60 gets unhappy. Possibly 10k, i am sure there was a thread in the pbo forum.

Maybe someone will remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty_Two View Post
    I seem to remember you need a resistor in place of the missing temperature sensor or the ST60 gets unhappy. Possibly 10k, i am sure there was a thread in the pbo forum.

That seems to make sense. I'll dig around in pbo
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

No idea if tho will help but ...

I tried to calibrate my speed. Followed manual. No dice. Read more and only the primary instrument can calibrate - so if set to secondary the speed is sent by the primary.

If it is the secondary one then maybe he sea talk connections are dirty etc giving a resistance that is being mid read at the secondary ?

Other option could be to swap the primary and secondary over. Maybe the unit is happier being primary ?
    Last edited by jrudge; 23-04-18 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty_Two View Post

Never heard of this and I've had just speed and depth working fine on an ST60. It sounds like a fault with the ST60 to be honest.

Does the ST60 display SOG via Seatalk correctly?

I have a service manual I can email which gives you on-board diagnostics to run if you're stuck.