Thread: Hob top 'oven'

Default Hob top 'oven'

Has anyone tried one of these hob top 'oven?
    I thought it might be good for finishing part baked bread.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omnia-Campi...s/312104811791
    Andrew

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Default Re: Hob top 'oven'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Trayfoot View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these hob top 'oven?
    I thought it might be good for finishing part baked bread.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omnia-Campi...s/312104811791
    Andrew
    Yes, I've had one for years. They are great at finishing part baked bread, as they are for doing roasts, baking cakes, cooking stuff like breaded fish or sausages - and baking bread from scratch according to the recipe book that comes with it, but I've not tried that.

If you get one a few points... start on a low hob heat, it really doesn't need to be high at all, and when you unpack the box take note of how it fits in if you want to keep it in its box, otherwise it's like a puzzle to get it back in.
    Last edited by AngusMcDoon; 22-04-18 at 07:53.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Yes, I've had one for years. They are great at finishing part baked, as they are for doing roasts, baking cakes, cooking stuff like breaded fish or sausages - and baking bread from scratch according to the recipe book that comes with it, but I've not tried that.

If you get one a few points... start on a low hob heat, it really doesn't need to be high at all, and when you unpack the box take note of how it fits in if you want to keep it in its box, otherwise it's like a puzzle to get it back in.
    I have not seen one of those since I was a kid, my grandma had one, they work great, I can attest to the quality of the cakes that you bake on it ! But I do remember too hot and you burn the bottom.

I have no experience but would imagine that any large aluminium saucepan with a lid could be used as a cook top oven.
    You would need to be able to lift and insulate the food from the bottom of the saucepan to stop heat being conducted straight into the food as in frying it. Food cooks from the heated air in the saucepan. A thermometer would be really useful. Has the advantage of a large flat area compared to the linked oven. has anyone tried it ? Does a saucepan work? olewill

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    I have no experience but would imagine that any large aluminium saucepan with a lid could be used as a cook top oven.
    You would need to be able to lift and insulate the food from the bottom of the saucepan to stop heat being conducted straight into the food as in frying it. Food cooks from the heated air in the saucepan. A thermometer would be really useful. Has the advantage of a large flat area compared to the linked oven. has anyone tried it ? Does a saucepan work? olewill
    The Omnia works as an oven because it is donought shaped. The hole in the middle directs the heat in from the top as well as the double bottom. That's why they work better than just a large saucepan, & the Omnia has the double bottom built in - no faffing required to arrange it yourself.

Many thanks all...