Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: KAD 42 Sudden oil dump into bilge

Sounds like you have so much oil everywhere you cant tell where it originates .

Does the kad42 have the crank case breather filter ?
    http://www.partsandfilters.co.uk/461...69-p-2413.html
    If so I believe if clogged it can cause oil loss via the dipstick tube.

If the oil is recently changed has the oil filter loosened itself slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by aquatom View Post
    The KAD 42s often blow oil out of the dipstick tube if there is too much crankcase pressure and the oring is damaged or missing on the dipstick. Try simple things first as the dipstick is right above the oil cooler try wrapping some clean tissue paper around the top of the dipstick tube and monitor it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Sounds like you have so much oil everywhere you cant tell where it originates .

Does the kad42 have the crank case breather filter ?
    http://www.partsandfilters.co.uk/461...69-p-2413.html
    If so I believe if clogged it can cause oil loss via the dipstick tube.

If the oil is recently changed has the oil filter loosened itself slightly?
    Thanks guys. Yes it could well be the dipstick tube. I removed the heat exchanger etc during the winter for maintenance and that has the tendency to dislodge the dipstick tube which weaves through the various brackets. If it's coming out it's at the bottom. The top of the motor is clean.

I dont know tbh if I have a crank case breather filter. At the risk of sounding a complete numpty, where on the KAD42 would I find that?

belt and braces? o rings, and a smear of gasket goo on the faces. HYLOMAR BLUE is good.
    Last edited by omega2; 24-04-18 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    belt and braces? o rings, and a smear of gasket goo on the faces. HYLOMAR BLUE is good.
    Done all that.... 3 times over 3 seasons. Whatever was weeping has suddenly let go. I think you can remember the first time I had it apart. You gave me a lot of stick

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I dont know tbh if I have a crank case breather filter. At the risk of sounding a complete numpty, where on the KAD42 would I find that?
    KAD32 has one, but I don't think there is one on a KAD42.
    If there was, it would a be silver canister, right at the back, upper surface, slightly to the right of the centre line.
    It unscrews upwards.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 24-04-18 at 14:07.

Look at that engine bay! I'm in love. You should see mine now. And I scrubbed it down 3 times this off season so I could marvel at it. C'est la vie. Anyway, no, I do not have any such filters. The pipes lead straight to the airbox and the filters are clean. I suppose that is a small mercy and I haven't popped a ring or piston at least.

Well today I stripped the port engine down and discovered the oil leak. I had in a belt and braces approach, tired of the replacement of seals each season to curb a small oil weep, used a small dab of Hylomar Blue on the mating face of the oil cooler. It is supposed to remain soft but it had hardened and when mating the two surfaces had through hydraulic force displaced and deformed the opposing face's o rings. Replaced the o rings with spares and will assemble tomorrow and check. I suppose I will have to concede defeat and accept that these things just weep. It's only about 20ml or so in a season but it makes a mess in the bilge regardless.

That will be caused by the gasket sealant. Next time don’t use any sealant and make sure both surfaces don’t have any oil on them either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123