Thread: Ulysses

Default Ulysses

How many here have finished it?
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Default Re: Ulysses

I tried, lord knows I tried. Well written drivel and enough surplus words to drown a thousand innocent souls. Having got about a third of the way through I still have no idea what the book was about - or perhaps I just wiped away the traumatic memories.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I tried, lord knows I tried. Well written drivel and enough surplus words to drown a thousand innocent souls. Having got about a third of the way through I still have no idea what the book was about - or perhaps I just wiped away the traumatic memories.
    My experience, as well. Supposedly the finest book written during the twentieth century.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

It’s all stream of conscious ....I read a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntyRinum View Post
    How many here have finished it?
    Yes. Together with Dubliners and A Portrit of the Artist as a Young Man. I was told you had to read all three to experience the context of the Masterpiece. I live next to the Martello tower that features in the opening and often take a dip in “The sea, the snotgreen sea, the scrotumtightening sea” of Dublin bay! I can attest to the accuracy of that passage at any rate...

Some years ago got the whole book on MP3's - transferred to CD's I think about 35 CDs. Listened in the car going to work, many times each CD. Eventually could understand/relate to it all apart from the flight of consciousness in the brothel where Bloom's father came down the chimney. Clearly the best bit was the finish - Molly's soliloquy.

However, flushed with the success of at least listening to it all, got Finnegans Wake CD's/book of explanation. No way could I even start to understand that book.

I read Ulysses last year. Some chapters made no sense to me & I skipped bits, but on the whole I enjoyed it. Each chapter is written in a different style, so that made the book fascinating but also pretty maddening at times.
    Finnegans Wake - not for me!!