Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- SoF
    Posts
    4,068

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Attachment 72621

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    A wrong installation (which IIRC is the OEM standard, in the C43) in so many ways that I don't know where to start criticizing the builder.
    I bet that both mine and markc cleats could take a much higher load without a blink - and neither are supposed to be the primary ones, as opposed to those in your pics!
    What are your thoughts on the FL Targa 47 ,s and Princess V48.,s cleat position that may be used for crossed lines ?
    Sort of same end on the haunch location

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Agree entirely. A cleat installation in that position for Med mooring or indeed for any kind of mooring is beyond stupid. And even worse its by an Italian builder who should know better
    My boat has cleats in that location, but the handbook states they are tender cleats and not to be used for mooring suspect many unknowingly use them as mooring cleats

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    48,065

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by NGM View Post
    My boat has cleats in that location, but the handbook states they are tender cleats and not to be used for mooring suspect many unknowingly use them as mooring cleats
    Fair enough

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    15,958

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    What are your thoughts on the FL Targa 47 ,s and Princess V48.,s cleat position that may be used for crossed lines ?
    Sort of same end on the haunch location
    Well, in neither boats those are the main/only stern cleats, IIRC?
    Anyway, if a cleat must bear the line load transversally, it's poorly installed by definition, so to speak - regardless of its position.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Bear in mind if you have a rib on the back the lower cleats are useless.

    My consultant big bear across s65 and s58. The cross lines run the rib and depending on dock height there may or may not be a viable alternative. Last winter I ended up with a complex set of v ropes to deal with the issue ( quite well as it happens ).

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    14,558

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Attachment 72621



    What are your thoughts on the FL Targa 47 ,s and Princess V48.,s cleat position that may be used for crossed lines ?
    Sort of same end on the haunch location
    My boat only has the upper cleats as per the T47 in your pic and to be honest I only ever tie the boat up on the pontoon side so no cross lines. Where I am at he moment this is fine as the prevailing wind pushed the boat onto the pontoon (I have half a dozen fenders on that side).

    If Med mooring with a 6 ton boat will I need to tie cross lines and would I just tie them to the aft clean on the appropriate size? Also, I've never bothered with snubbers or compensator spring things on my lines. Is this an issue (I do have the original FL thick black warps that seem to have some stretch in them and are probably oversized for my boat)?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,528

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    I've always been pleased with the stern cleats on the P67.
    Princess seem to have got it right in this respect.
    It is the most important cleat on our home berth as it keeps the stern close - the distance between the pontoon cleat and the stern boat cleat is about 2 feet.
    And as such is always the last line to be released when we leave.

    On Med berths, we have to be careful that the crossed lines don't clash with the passerelle (ours is a cassette type.).
    Again, the cleats low down are great when used with crossed lines - they run under the passerelle so don't present a trip hazard and don't get in the way of people leaving/boarding.

    I agree that a dinghy might get in the way but the P67 allows us to put our tender on the FB whenever we stern berth.
    As in this pic


  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    My boat only has the upper cleats as per the T47 in your pic and to be honest I only ever tie the boat up on the pontoon side so no cross lines. Where I am at he moment this is fine as the prevailing wind pushed the boat onto the pontoon (I have half a dozen fenders on that side).

    If Med mooring with a 6 ton boat will I need to tie cross lines and would I just tie them to the aft clean on the appropriate size? Also, I've never bothered with snubbers or compensator spring things on my lines. Is this an issue (I do have the original FL thick black warps that seem to have some stretch in them and are probably oversized for my boat)?
    I would not leave the boat unattended for more than a few days without using springs in winter they are essential. A s58 in Andraxt without them had the cleats torn out. If it is moving you need something to stop line snatch.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- SoF
    Posts
    4,068

    Default Re: Cleats in Bathing Platform

    deleted - probs posting pics
    Last edited by Portofino; 14-08-18 at 17:42.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to