Default End of season haul out

While my YBW friends are getting excited about a new season and relaunch olewill hauled his boat out yesterday. I seem to have made a habit of taking boat home for winter. The reason I have always stuck with a small boat. Haul out is dictated by my having rubbed much of the anti fouling paint off, the water getting too cold to scrub without a wet suit, the club summer racing season over and winds becoming light. (plus simply had enough of sailing) (had a pretty good season results wise over about 28 short races.) With good funa and good company.
    Any way it is a great joy to be easily able to attend to all those little problems and generally clean it up. So easy with the tool shed only 10 metres away. Getting it out was fairly easy this being winter (haul out no 34 for taking it home.) Took about 1 hr with me taking dinghy to the water delivering son and friend to the boat, they sailed it to the ramp, me bringing dinghy home and then driving trailer to the club.
    I like to remove everything from the cabin. Wash mattress covers. Dry buoyancy vests/life jackets. Dry sails. 4 jibs 2 spinnakers. Vacuum clean inside and attack mildew.
    Other jobs to do. Repair the GRP bottom leading edge of the drop keel. it gets damaged every time there is a grounding.
    Replace spin halyard Iwas surprised to find cover chafed through. Replace main halyard presently wire and rope will try dyneema/spectra 8mm. Touch up the paint and clean topsides. Maybe try to shim the rudder pintle which is a bit sloppy. Lastly of course more anti fouling paint and the madness starts all over again last weekend in September.
    Any way sorry about the minim blog and best wishes for a new season to my UK friends. olewill

Default Re: End of season haul out

Is the winter that bad there? Winter sailing in Britain and Ireland can still be fun - ok, maybe not this last winter - so I'd imagine it is do-able in WA. Do you not have a frostbite series?

Yes we do have a winter series racing aprox. every fortnight. I tend to do my service by being race officer for some of these.
    Almost all boats are kept in service over winter. I am really enjoying fettling the little boat. Got to slow down or it will all be done too soon. Even so I think it will stay home till next season opening day. olewill

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    Yes we do have a winter series racing aprox. every fortnight.
    Yes, and I sailed in a Perth 'winter series' race once: we needed sunhat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and cold drinks in a toolbox!

We'd feel sorry for you hauling out now for the winter if we didn't feel jealous that you, unlike us, had had some summer weather before you did so.

William

I need your help. I've painted above the waterline but I'm not happy with it. I want to put a finish coat on with an airless spray gun but I can't work out how I can mask off the anti-foul as nothing will stick to it . I've been trying to holding some sheet plastic ( and newspaper) in place with masking tape but it won't hold on the anti-foul even though there is no wind. I've just done a duckduckgo to see if I can buy 50mm (2 inch) masking tape and I can. It doesn't seem to be very wide but one go I had with the airless spray gun seemed to confirm they are pretty accurate and if I'm careful I won't get paint all over the anti-foul. (So far I've spent $1100 on Altex No5 anti-foul!)

I'm wondering how you guys would do it although I suppose you'd use a paint brush?

Attachment 70606
    Last edited by coopec; 27-04-18 at 06:42.

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    William

I need your help. I've painted above the waterline but I'm not happy with it. I want to put a finish coat on with an airless spray gun but I can't work out how I can mask of the anti-foul as nothing will stick to it . I've been trying to holding some sheet plastic ( and newspaper) in place with masking tape but it won't hold on the anti-foul even though there is no wind. I've just done a duckduckgo to see if I can buy 50mm (2 inch) masking tape and I can. It doesn't seem to be very wide but one go I had with the airless spray gun seemed to confirm they are pretty accurate and if I'm careful I won't get paint all over the anti-foul. (So far I've spent $1100 on Altex No5 anti-foul!)

I'm wondering how you guys would do it although I suppose you'd use a paint brush?

Attachment 70606
    Try a cheap masking tape. We AF using Jotun Sea Quantum Ultra, gives 2 seasons cf Altex 1, and when we do the boot top we use Bunnings cheapest tape (we buy a pack of 5 rolls) which sticks to the AF, an ablative. But remove the tape as soon as your paint is touch dry as the cheap tape can leave adhesive on the AF or fibreglass (due to heat or water) and it takes forever to clean up (and use of turps dissolves the AF). We find we might need to tape twice if we are putting one coat on one day and another a day later - the price of being a cheapskate.

Jonathan

Thanks Neaves

Fortunately I had some cheap masking tape so I put a double strip along the waterline but on the gunwale I ran out so I'll transfer the tape from the for'd to the aft end.

"and when we do the boot top we use Bunnings cheapest tape (we buy a pack of 5 rolls)"
    I will most certainly buy some and do the same when I'm in Perth next week.

Just as well you mentioned removing the tape as soon as the paint is dry. I'll wind it up onto a bottle and re-use it on the Port side. (The local hardware may not have what I want and of course Bunnings is 130 km away)

I'm going to have a go at painting it after lunch. Wish me luck!

Clive
    Last edited by coopec; 27-04-18 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    Thanks Neaves

Fortunately I had some cheap masking tape so I put a double strip along the waterline but on the gunwale I ran out so I'll transfer the tape from the for'd to the aft end.

"and when we do the boot top we use Bunnings cheapest tape (we buy a pack of 5 rolls)"
    I will most certainly buy some and do the same when I'm in Perth next week.

Just as well you mentioned removing the tape as soon as the paint is dry. I'll wind it up onto a bottle and re-use it on the Port side.

Clive
    Clive,

Obviously another who worships the religion of parsimony, a man after my own heart!

Good Luck,

Jonathan

Neeves

Well I finished the Starboard side and it looks better (I'd give it 6 out of 10). I used my Son's Ozito airless gun and I shouldn't knock it because they only cost $250 and I probably don't know how to use it. (It was quicker than using a fly spray though (but only marginally)

Clive