Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Alcohol and boating

I was interested to read the following in an American equivalent to one of our MAIB accident investigations (found on offshore blue.com).

I hadn't been aware of the various adverse effects on vision.

I'd be interested to know how the levels listed related to the UK driving limit (which uses mg/ml rather than the percentages used in this report).

"Effects of Alcohol Use in Recreational Boating4
    Behavioral research indicates that certain sensory functions and the ability to respond adequately to situations encountered in recreational boating can be affected by consumption of even small amounts of alcohol. BACs [Blood alcohol concentrations]ranging from as low as 0.01 to 0.04 percent (roughly equivalent to two beers) can degrade a personsí ability to do the following:
    1. Discern faint lights or objects at night,
    2. Notice objects just outside the direct line of sight,
    3. Respond to a constantly changing stimulus, and
    4. Select a response based on the nature of the stimulus.

Highly qualified boat operators begin to suffer measurable impairment at BAC levels of 0.035 percent. It takes longer to process information, such as recognizing whether a potentially dangerous situation is developing with another vessel and then deciding how to avoid an accident. At such BAC levels a personís nocturnal vision will be more affected by glare from lights including boat navigation lights, shore lights, and even moonlight.

At BAC levels of 0.05 to 0.06 percent a person typically senses elation, becomes more talkative, and experiences increased self-confidence. Judgment is also slightly impaired. At BACs of 0.07 to 0.08 percent, a person might exhibit rambling speech, increased self-confidence, decreased inhibitions, and impaired sensory responses. At BACs of 0.09 to 0.10 percent a person might become emotional and excited. There might also be a further increase in self-confidence and a decrease in inhibitions, as well as a likely impairment of muscular coordination.

At BAC levels of 0.15 percent there will be definite impairment of balance and movement, a significant decrease in inhibition and an increase in self-confidence. Judgment and the ability to make rational decisions will be also be significantly degraded, which can lead to unacceptable risk taking. At BACs of 0.20 percent there will be considerable impairment of balance and the ability to control body movements. A person will normally exhibit slurred speech, staggering, and an inability to focus (in some cases, double vision). Individuals will likely also be incapable of safely and effectively conducting tasks such as operating machinery, driving vehicles, or operating boats.

4 A. James McKnight, Gordon S. Smith, Paul R. Marques, and James E. Lange, The Effects of Alcohol Upon Human Functioning in Recreational Boating, National Public Services Research Institute (Landover, MD: December 29, 1994)."

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

I'm having trouble reading it 'cos my vision is a bit blurry at the mo'.

Richard

I am partial to a small glass of beer at lunchtime or a small G&T in the evening when sailing and the conditions are 'right'; but I much prefer to be at anchor or in a marina for a proper drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathook View Post
    I am partial to a small glass of beer at lunchtime or a small G&T in the evening when sailing and the conditions are 'right'; but I much prefer to be at anchor or in a marina for a proper drink.
    +1 . Only consider it once we are tied up/moored/anchored securely. Never under way. And not if there is any chance of re-setting an anchor in the middle of the night!

Almost never while under way. Maybe a small 250ml bottle of beer in calm weather and familiar waters, but not often. The main effects on co-ordination and decision making seemed to be after several drinks, which is what one would expect. The effects of one or two drinks would only be evident at night or in demanding circumstances, unlike car-driving, so I think that reasonable caution should be enough for most of us. Cheers.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post

At BAC levels of 0.15 percent there will be definite impairment of balance and movement, a significant decrease in inhibition and an increase in self-confidence. Judgment and the ability to make rational decisions will be also be significantly degraded, which can lead to unacceptable risk taking. At BACs of 0.20 percent there will be considerable impairment of balance and the ability to control body movements. A person will normally exhibit slurred speech, staggering, and an inability to focus (in some cases, double vision). Individuals will likely also be incapable of safely and effectively conducting tasks such as operating machinery, driving vehicles, or operating boats.
    ."
    I wonder if someone has been spiking my coffee ???????
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Unfortunately the Americans have a major problem analysing alcohol usage and who consumes it and when,, For example

The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged they had covertly funded a project with the US auto makers for the past five years, whereby the auto makers were installing black boxes in four-wheel drive pickup trucks in an effort to determine, in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last 15 seconds before the crash.

They were surprised to find in 49 of the 50 states the last words of drivers in 61.2 percent of fatal crashes where alcohol was involved were,

"Oh, Sh**!"

Mind you given the apocryphal story below I am not surprised.

At the end of the day at conference of American beer producers, the presidents of all beer companies decide to have a drink in a bar.

The president of 'Budweiser' orders a Bud, the president of 'Miller' orders a Miller Lite, Adolph Coors orders a Coors, and the list goes on.

Then the waitress asks Arthur Guinness what he wants to drink, and much to everybody's amazement, Mr. Guinness orders a Coke!

"Why don't you order a Guinness?" his colleagues ask.

"Naah. If you guys won't drink beer, then neither will I."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I'd be interested to know how the levels listed related to the UK driving limit (which uses mg/ml rather than the percentages used in this report).
    The [s]UK[/s]English, Welsh and Irish Road Limit is 80mg / 100mL of blood. That is the same as 0.08% w/w.

In Europe - the limit is usually 0.05% (50mg/100mL) as it now is for Scotland.

BACs [Blood alcohol concentrations]ranging from as low as 0.01 (10mg/100mL) to 0.04 (40mg/100mL) percent (roughly equivalent to two beers) can degrade a persons’ ability to do the following:
    1. Discern faint lights or objects at night,
    2. Notice objects just outside the direct line of sight,
    3. Respond to a constantly changing stimulus, and
    4. Select a response based on the nature of the stimulus.

So you'd be legal to drive in most of Europe at this level

Highly qualified boat operators begin to suffer measurable impairment at BAC levels of 0.035 percent35mg/100mL. It takes longer to process information, such as recognizing whether a potentially dangerous situation is developing with another vessel and then deciding how to avoid an accident. At such BAC levels a person’s nocturnal vision will be more affected by glare from lights including boat navigation lights, shore lights, and even moonlight.

At BAC levels of 0.05 to 0.06 percent 50 - 60mg/100mL - so still Legal in UK except Scotland to drivea person typically senses elation, becomes more talkative, and experiences increased self-confidence. Judgment is also slightly impaired. At BACs of 0.07 to 0.08 70-80mg/100ml so up to the English drink drive limit percent, a person might exhibit rambling speech, increased self-confidence, decreased inhibitions, and impaired sensory responses. At BACs of 0.09 to 0.10 percent 90 -100mg/100mL - so no longer legal to drive in the UK - but certainly on breath you aren't usually prosecuted until 15% over the breath limit - not sure if blood is the same a person might become emotional and excited. There might also be a further increase in self-confidence and a decrease in inhibitions, as well as a likely impairment of muscular coordination.

At BAC levels of 0.15 percent150mg/100mL - so ~twice English Limit and 3 x Euro Limit there will be definite impairment of balance and movement, a significant decrease in inhibition and an increase in self-confidence. Judgment and the ability to make rational decisions will be also be significantly degraded, which can lead to unacceptable risk taking. At BACs of 0.20 percent200mg/100mL there will be considerable impairment of balance and the ability to control body movements. A person will normally exhibit slurred speech, staggering, and an inability to focus (in some cases, double vision). Individuals will likely also be incapable of safely and effectively conducting tasks such as operating machinery, driving vehicles, or operating boats.

4 A. James McKnight, Gordon S. Smith, Paul R. Marques, and James E. Lange, The Effects of Alcohol Upon Human Functioning in Recreational Boating, National Public Services Research Institute (Landover, MD: December 29, 1994)."
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    The [s]UK[/s]80mg / 100mL of blood. That is the same as 0.08% w/w.
    I thought 80mg water per 100ml would be 0.08%, but it would be a slightly different percentage for alcohol. Is that not the case?

80mg of Alcohol in 100ml Blood is 0.08g of Alcohol in 100ml of Blood. I've stupidly typed w/w previously it should have be w/v - so mass(weight) of the substance being measured in grams / volume in mL x 100 (or in other words mass in 100mL)

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast