Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

Not until the sun is over the yardarm and seeing as I've got a motor boat these days with no yardarm ... it always happens on the dot of 6 o'clock ...

You do this sailing stuff sober? Wow! Don't you get scared?

I went out on my son's motorboat to watch the new years fireworks on Brisbane river.
    Loads of boats anchored but also a large police presence, many on PWCs. Almost every boat was visited and many breathalised.
    Apparently you can lose your car licence if over the limit. Nobody seemed to object.
    Perhaps it's the future for UK too?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I went out on my son's motorboat to watch the new years fireworks on Brisbane river.
    Loads of boats anchored but also a large police presence, many on PWCs. Almost every boat was visited and many breathalised.
    Apparently you can lose your car licence if over the limit. Nobody seemed to object.
    Police struggle to be on the streets let alone be out on boats imho.

I've anchored in Runswick Bay and rowed to the pub, drank 5 pints, then rowed back to the boat. Never again! I couldn't stay my course, and every time I turned around, the boat had moved a hundred yards. I must have rowed two or three times the real distance before I reached her. Getting back aboard was the next challenge. My dingy was little more than a child's toy. Robust though it appeared, it folded in half as I stepped onto the boarding ladder, and I had to haul myself up using only my arms. It's lucky I lift weights.

I never ever drink when sailing. Even when anchored securely in a good spot I drink moderately in case of incident in the night and keep well below Scottish/European limit. However when moored up the pub calls and the brewers craft is appreciated, but I still watch my step (English limits) if needing to row. A friend nearly drowned falling out of dinghy when sizzled. The gin palaces (spotless white and rarely seen at sea on the muddy Bristol Channel) charging across Cardiff Bay after drinks on board worry me and I'm surprised there has not been more mishaps.
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 01-05-18 at 10:04.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    Given my signature you can probably guess where i am from, but i do spend as much as 60% of my working life in Australia working with my esteemed (I mean that sincerely, they are good smart people!) Australian colleagues and customers.

I am often amazed at their acceptance of authority as described above. Other examples include police ticketing pedestrians for crossing the road when the "don't cross" signal was on. Try that one in London!
    Compulsory registration of all boats and requirement for a licence.
    Big fines for speeding at low levels: state of Victoria can and will fine you for 1 km/hr over the 100 km/hr speed limit. I recently got fined AU$180 for being 8 km/hr over the speed limit on a 6 lane motorway!
    When i discuss this with Australian colleagues they are totally accepting of these things and incredulous that we in NZ can go boating with no registration or licences.
    Trouble is the worlds bureaucrats all talk to each other and have a vision of utopia where every human activity is controlled and only allowable with appropriate permit - complete with fee to support the bureaucracy of course!
    Watch for restrictions on your freedoms in the name of "international best practice"
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by Scolly View Post
    Unfortunately the Americans have a major problem ....... four-wheel drive pickup trucks...... fatal accidents, .........
    My employer is a major oil and gas company and their biggest killer is road incidents, not incidents involving oil and gas activities. The most dangerous country for road incidents in the USA, worse than Saudi, Pakistan, South Africa, Nigeria for example. The hypocrisy of my employer is staggering. In the example countries there are strict controls over how I go about driving e.g. journey management, in vehicle monitoring, training and oil some cases a ban on driving except via professional drivers. The Americans do not want any of that, so they don't get it. Yanks can't drive, they believe that driving for hours is acceptable, commuting between Houston and NewOrleans for example, daily. I have drill crews that come off two week shifts, after working nights, get in their cars and drive a 1000 miles non stop.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by John the kiwi View Post
    ..... Watch for restrictions on your freedoms in the name of "international best practice"
    Fortunately we have a reasonably influential charitable organisation in the RYA that has taken on the role of the voice of boaters and they resist restrictions.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

I gather that in Canada, there are wrap around Coca Cola labels for your beer can, as the water police scan with binos and are tough on any drinking.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast