Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I went out on my son's motorboat to watch the new years fireworks on Brisbane river.
    Loads of boats anchored but also a large police presence, many on PWCs. Almost every boat was visited and many breathalised.
    Apparently you can lose your car licence if over the limit. Nobody seemed to object.
    Perhaps it's the future for UK too?
    This subject was done to death a few years ago and I remember the embarrassment of the minister when he was unable to produce any reliable evidence that drink was a problem in relation to boating. Our boating environment is completely different from Australia's.

There are already powers available to prosecute for boating under the influence and they are used, but rarely. There is also a law on the statute books that would allow for the establishment of limits and the systematic use of breathalizers, but regulations to implement it have not been established partly because of the lack of evidence that there is a problem to be solved, partly because of the difficulty of defining limits and where and to whom they would apply and partly because of the difficulty of enforcement.

All well covered in the boating press and (inevitably here!) at the time.
    Last edited by Tranona; 01-05-18 at 23:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    There are already powers available to prosecute for drinking under the influence . . .
    Had a drink or two yourself this evening, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Had a drink or two yourself this evening, perhaps?
    Well spotted! Have corrected the original for the record, although can't hide the blunder.

Ah, so it appears to be a communications problem, not a boating one....

It would change our boating a lot if alcohol was not involved. Although we never drink at all underway we do tend to get sloshed at anchor quite often, whether in our cockpit or at a restaurant and dinghy back. And of course sometimes the weather gets up and we have to go on anchor watch trollied, mostly to watch out for other boats coming down on us. And using the dinghy to find our boat isn't always easy when there are double the number of lights we see on the way to the quay.

But if we treated anchoring as dry then most nights on board would be a lot duller, or maybe more memorable?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    It would change our boating a lot if alcohol was not involved. Although we never drink at all underway we do tend to get sloshed at anchor quite often, whether in our cockpit or at a restaurant and dinghy back. And of course sometimes the weather gets up and we have to go on anchor watch trollied, mostly to watch out for other boats coming down on us. And using the dinghy to find our boat isn't always easy when there are double the number of lights we see on the way to the quay.

But if we treated anchoring as dry then most nights on board would be a lot duller, or maybe more memorable?
    You sound like SWMBO and me. We don't drink that much away from the boat, maybe a small glass or two of wine on 4 or 5 nights of the week, but on the boat we regularly get through a bottle or two most nights and regularly wake up a bit the worse for wear next morning. We've had some hilarious trips back to the boat when we've decided to row back so as not to wake the neighbours. Unfortunately, the laughing as we row around in circles is louder than the outboard.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You sound like SWMBO and me. We don't drink that much away from the boat, maybe a small glass or two of wine on 4 or 5 nights of the week, but on the boat we regularly get through a bottle or two most nights and regularly wake up a bit the worse for wear next morning. We've had some hilarious trips back to the boat when we've decided to row back so as not to wake the neighbours. Unfortunately, the laughing as we row around in circles is louder than the outboard.

Richard
    We quite surprised ourselves on the trip we've just completed by drinking every night of course, but not very much at all compared to normal boat consumption. Our way to find our way back to the boat now is a string of tiny solar fairy lights making an arch at the back of the Bimini - with so many identical white monohulls this helps a lot find the right boat.

I suspect when the water is a lot warmer and an accidental swim is just funny again we may go back to our normal boaty consumption, but it was very refreshing starting sails each morning with a clear head.

Anyone going to admit to having a few beers over the course of a relaxing day's sail?

The key difference I see to driving a car is that you are not relying on quick reflexes and peripheral vision to avoid crashing into things, except in a few specific circumstances.

I don't drink alcohol underway not because I am worried about how it would effect my boat handling skills but because boat handling may effect my enjoyment of the alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Anyone going to admit to having a few beers over the course of a relaxing day's sail?

The key difference I see to driving a car is that you are not relying on quick reflexes and peripheral vision to avoid crashing into things, except in a few specific circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    I don't drink alcohol underway not because I am worried about how it would effect my boat handling skills but because boat handling may effect my enjoyment of the alcohol
    I think JB has a good point there. I usually have a glass of beer or a shandy with my sandwich at lunchtime when we're underway but I've usually moved away from the helm and the boat is on autopilot with me keeping a lookout from the cockpit seating. However, when we're actually sailing rather than eating+sailing, I tend to stick to soft drinks but purely because I can't sit back and savour the beverage.

It's like when I'm sitting the the garden relaxing at home reading the paper and I always have a beer .... but I would never think of doing that if I was on the drive working on the car. Working and drinking alcohol just don't seem to go together .... alcohol is all about relaxing, surely?

Richard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast