Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    So what's wrong with Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll.....?
    Not underway, one of my occasional crew smokes but otherwise no, the radio is on the blink so only intermittently

Well, I thought it was funny.
    Some things never change.

https://youtu.be/ervk5lHsizI

rps20180509_205735_407.jpg
    Ships that pass in the night so*on*the*ocean*of*life*we*pass*

Obviously this hasnt been read down under.
    I last commented on recreational boat users in Australia several years ago.
    Again this year on the Noosa River in Queensland typically boats would head out down the river some to cross the bar into the Pacific.
    Mostly high powered tinnies from maybe no more that 14 foot up to 30 plus foot- semi open- passengers balanced on the fordeck cans of beer in their hand and not a life jacket to be seen.As for the 12 knot speed limit!
    Problem is despite strict leglislation and power boat licencing Queensland Police only have as I recall two marine based officers along the length of the Sunshine Coast.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by John the kiwi View Post

Apparently, many drunk older males have perished while relieving themselves over the stern even in calm weather at anchor!

And i think the key is this: Sailing skippers are generally rugged individualists well accustomed to assessing risks and acting accordingly. I do believe that to own and skipper a boat requires a degree of bloody mindedness and willingness to rely on ones own judgement and live with the consequences.

I was speaking to a yard man recently who was, when younger, a pillar of a local RNLI All Weather Lifeboat.

He might have been joking, knowing him as I do, he told me such instances after retrieving a body from the 'oggin were referenced in the report as " FO,FO. "

Fell off, Flies open.................................

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
    quit drinking
    Good for you.

More for me.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
    quit drinking
    *sigh*. Perhaps an AI might be better moderation? c'mon chaps and chapesses. Look at this account's past posts...

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    *sigh*. Perhaps an AI might be better moderation? c'mon chaps and chapesses. Look at this account's past posts...
    What's wrong with David's previous posts?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    What's wrong with David's previous posts?
    Where do we start? Random thread revival by a non-regular for no reason only raises an eyebrow. So then we look back. The spammers usually start by posting in the book forum or restaurant reviews because it requires no technical knowledge. "David"'s first post of "Oh, I haven't been there yet" on a restaurant review is actually the same as "Denise"'s on the same thread. Then in quick succession we get "Great Place" posts for restaurants at opposite ends of the country. Then we get a whole bunch of posts on non-boaty subjects like bitcoin. References to currency in dollars on a uk forum is a hint. The killer though is if you pick one of those posts you'll see (a) it's edited and (b) contains a hidden marketing link which is the main point of this account.

I suspect that "David"'s post on mattresses (also containing a marketing link) which talks about "My husband and I" is not an affirmation of the diversity of this forum but a slip by an american housewife earning cash for posting spam links. Full marks to her for making the effort to google a list of sailing books in the book review section.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Where do we start? Random thread revival by a non-regular for no reason only raises an eyebrow. So then we look back. The spammers usually start by posting in the book forum or restaurant reviews because it requires no technical knowledge. "David"'s first post of "Oh, I haven't been there yet" on a restaurant review is actually the same as "Denise"'s on the same thread. Then in quick succession we get "Great Place" posts for restaurants at opposite ends of the country. Then we get a whole bunch of posts on non-boaty subjects like bitcoin. References to currency in dollars on a uk forum is a hint. The killer though is if you pick one of those posts you'll see (a) it's edited and (b) contains a hidden marketing link which is the main point of this account.

I suspect that "David"'s post on mattresses (also containing a marketing link) which talks about "My husband and I" is not an affirmation of the diversity of this forum but a slip by an american housewife earning cash for posting spam links. Full marks to her for making the effort to google a list of sailing books in the book review section.
    Where is the link in "stop drinking" above?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Where is the link in "stop drinking" above?
    There isn't. But you'll notice that "David" goes back and edits posts after a day or two, presumably to add links after they've passed any potential moderation. Doesn't always happen but mostly does.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast