Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    There isn't. But you'll notice that "David" goes back and edits posts after a day or two, presumably to add links after they've passed any potential moderation. Doesn't always happen but mostly does.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. It doesn't seem a very methodical or determined attempt to bamboozle us but maybe David is rather half-hearted about the whole thing.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Full marks to her for making the effort to google a list of sailing books in the book review section.
    ....I was wondering where that one came from: it made me briefly worry that I might have wrongly mouthed off about a genuine sailor. But the list is actually copy and pasted from a thread on cruisersforum:
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post412749
    Last edited by laika; 02-09-19 at 09:10. Reason: Add marketing links^W^W^Wcorrect syntax

"David" seems to have left post #44 alone but has been at it in the mobo forum:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...71#post6897071

The post was made yesterday, dropped down the rankings, then she added the link this morning. Those links don't show up on mobile until you click them. I think that was one of the reasons why the forum didn't used to allow making arbitrary text links but that restriction disappeared in a software upgrade a couple of years ago. I guess it's time to hit "report"...

[EDIT] Impressively rapid reaction from the Moderators!
    Last edited by laika; 04-09-19 at 08:14. Reason: I can't make the same joke twice can I?

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I was speaking to a yard man recently who was, when younger, a pillar of a local RNLI All Weather Lifeboat.

He might have been joking, knowing him as I do, he told me such instances after retrieving a body from the 'oggin were referenced in the report as " FO,FO. "

Fell off, Flies open.................................
    They’ve gone a bit PC then, in the 80s the term for the state of a body found in the water was FOPO. Flies Open Penis Out

Came across this exclusion in our Y Yacht insurance policy document the other day -

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS THAT APPLY TO THE WHOLE POLICY
    1 You are not covered for any claim arising:

1.3 from any act or omission of the person in charge of the Vessel if they were impaired following the consumption of alcohol or drugs;

Unfortunately, no specified blood alcohol limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Came across this exclusion in our Y Yacht insurance policy document the other day -

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS THAT APPLY TO THE WHOLE POLICY
    1 You are not covered for any claim arising:

1.3 from any act or omission of the person in charge of the Vessel if they were impaired following the consumption of alcohol or drugs;

Unfortunately, no specified blood alcohol limit.
    Legally that seems easy to pick apart..'following' is different from 'caused by', for starters.

So if you had a pint at lunchtime, then an hour later crunched into a pontoon, who can say if the crunch was caused by the beer, or if it would have happened anyway? And who could legitimately decide which? Nobody.

What is meant by 'drugs'? Aspirin is a drug , supposing you had an aspirin before hitting the pontoon? Or do they mean illegal drugs such as heroin? Or prescription only drugs such as Dihydrocodeine? Or what? It sounds like a free pass to refuse paying a claim on spurious grounds.
    I'm with Y and I don't dare to ask for a clearer definition, in case they became suspicious I was careering round the high seas with a bottle of rum in one hand and a spliff in the other..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Aspirin is a drug , supposing you had an aspirin before hitting the pontoon?
    Would you be impaired by taking that aspirin?

There are some sporty prescription drugs out there that would certainly impair one's ability to operate almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Legally that seems easy to pick apart..'following' is different from 'caused by', for starters.
    I think it's quite clear. If in the opinion of any authorities involved you were at fault and were under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then you don't even have 3rd party insurance - want to personally pay a large repair bill + maybe consequential losses or an injury claim, possibly even by someone on your own boat?

However rare, don't think it can't happen, the PM here made the ferry skipper who hit us take a breath test.

I drink on board but not to the point of being incapable as some do, as displayed by those friends we've seen fall in trying to board a dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    If in the opinion of any authorities involved you were at fault and were under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then you don't even have 3rd party insurance
    Out of interest, what if you are hit by another boat and it's their fault, but they've been drinking and are now uninsured? Do you then have to claim off your insurance, losing no-claims? Reliant on the other person being able to pay out of their pocket? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by DFL1010 View Post
    Out of interest, what if you are hit by another boat and it's their fault, but they've been drinking and are now uninsured? Do you then have to claim off your insurance, losing no-claims? Reliant on the other person being able to pay out of their pocket? Something else?
    I do not believe an ins co can leave anybody without ins.
    Say one was driving dangerously rather than intoxicated does that invalidate any ins cover, NO

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast