Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Alcohol and boating

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    I do not believe an ins co can leave anybody without ins.
    Say one was driving dangerously rather than intoxicated does that invalidate any ins cover, NO
    I was once told by a copper that unlike most insurance policies, motor vehicle also covers whilst breaking the law. I suggest you read your boat policy and see just how many get-outs it contains, you may be surprised.
    Last edited by Graham376; 04-09-19 at 15:30. Reason: additional txt

Quote Originally Posted by DFL1010 View Post
    Out of interest, what if you are hit by another boat and it's their fault, but they've been drinking and are now uninsured? Do you then have to claim off your insurance, losing no-claims? Reliant on the other person being able to pay out of their pocket? Something else?
    I'm no lawyer but AFAIK you could either claim against your own fully comp insurance or, take civil action against the other party and your insurers may take that route themselves if the amount were worthwhile recovering.

I was hit by a passenger ferry running on forged insurance documents a few years ago. Civil action needs costly lawyers here and can take years so my insurers paid out and no loss of ncb because I was on home mooring.

I was under the impression that to hold a skippers ticket you need rum. Who knew, we learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    I was under the impression that to hold a skippers ticket you need rum. Who knew, we learn something new every day.
    I've read much about drink being bad for me . . . . . . . so I've stopped reading !!

Surprised nobody has posted the obligatory

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567