Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Light Weather Racing and Mobos

This is just one of the many reasons why places like Portland are better for serious racing than characterful venues like the Solent which aren’t ideal racing venues - due to shipping, other boats, tides etc

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I like sailing, but I'd have given up and gone to the pub an awful long time before that.
    ^This 100%. I have an absolute rule on racing, if I can swim faster than I can sail it's RTD and G&T.
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

We did retire. It was a 30 odd mile short offshore and we would have been stuck out till late night if we'd carried on. The wind had picked up and I would normally have carried on but there were other considerations. As it happened the wind died again and the boats that continued ended up sailing till about 9-10PM anyway.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    This is just one of the many reasons why places like Portland are better for serious racing than characterful venues like the Solent which arenít ideal racing venues - due to shipping, other boats, tides etc
    I actually like the tide in the Solent for racing. Always keeps it interesting- especially without instruments. Also means that you never race in near-zero wind, as you canít make it up-tide with less than about five knots. Drifting isnít saling, in my book.

Sail a small boat and roll tack/gybe your way round the course😎

As sometime raggie victim and othertimes moboer on not-my mobo ... I must say i found the nav tactics of some mobo drivers understandably un-nerving and thoughtless: there seems to be a tendency to aim towards "that yacht over there" and then veer off at the last moment ... not aim towards an open space. I eventually persuaded more than one mobo driver NOT to aim at slow-moving (or in this case almost static) yots in this way - not to hold any single yot on a collision course for sometimes minutes at a time. Solent surrounded both sidrs so they can't go the hell offshore. Yeah they could go off the plane and then slower again to avoid dragging huge wash. But there again, the raggies could have bought a bigger boat and/or not be so grumpy all the time to every mobo even when at anchor - some raggies deserve a special RNLI division of sailing-only rescue boats, which would obviously take lots longer but grant their dearest wish of there being no mobos at all in the Solent, ever. I reckon this post has great balance in that it's gonna wind up stinkies and raggies about the same. Sorry in advance, a bit.

Well the big mobos were out in force this weekend in the Solent. Mostly well behaved, but with one notable exception, the guy in a large flybridge type who came out of Cowes and turned west and accelerated along the line of the moorings towards Gurnard, whilst a whole line of boats were sailing in not much breeze against a stack of tide with kites up to the JOG finish at Gurnard cardinal. Our kite was collapsed by his wash as he passed about 60 foot in front of us at speed, cost us a bit and we lost by 40s on corrected. Did it make that much difference? Probably not, but it definitely didn't endear him to us.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    I'll add that because of the extremely light winds the 10 minutes we were dead in the water actually only lost us 100m. The problem was getting going again, absolutely zero feel on the helm, we were on a beat but couldn't induce the boat to come back up into the wind. In six hours I think we did 5 miles, three of which were in the last hour when the wind finally blasted up to four knots with a more favourable point of sail.
    Which Harbour?

If Cowes, if a Mobo doesn't get you, the wake from the Red Jet, Red Funnel or from any one of a number of large commercial vessels most probably will instead.

Pwllheli (North Wales, just in case)
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Pwllheli (North Wales, just in case)
    Hmm, you'd like to think that there was enough water there so that close encounters were not a regular occurrence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast