Default Anchorages in the Bristol Channel...

Yacht
    Anchorages in the
    Bristol Channel.
    (And approaches)

(Mk III)

Ahoy Shipmates, I've been charged by the Bristol Channel Yachting Association (B.C.Y.A.) to compile a guide to anchorages in the Bristol Channel for inclusion in...

"The Blue Book"
    (The B.C.Y.A Handbook)

We're very fortunate to have access to over 200 miles of coastline, inundated with many coves, inlets, rivers, bays and estuaries to anchor in.

I'm sure there must be a wealth of untapped knowledge out there regarding these anchorages.

It would be a big ask for an individual to know of every single anchorage in the channel, with this in mind I'd like to invite you, one and all, who have personally used anchorages to share them with me.

For the purpose of this guide I have considered the Bristol Channel to be East of an imaginary line between Cape Cornwall on the South Side and St. Davids Head on the North side and up channel as far as Sharpness...

Thus allowing anchorages as far West as Milford Haven and St Ives, which are attainable by a yacht in a few tides from up channel.

Please send me your submissions giving particular reference to...

Anchorage name...
    Pay Special attention to...
    Approach to the anchorage...
    Anchor drop...
    Coordinates...
    Safe wind directions...
    Tidal streams...
    Surrounding terrain...
    Landmarks...
    Depth at low water...
    Nature of the ground...
    Holding...
    Ground tackle used...
    Useful information...
    Distance to nearest hostelry...
    Supplies...
    Attributed to...

I'll then add them to the master list...

Please call me on ‪07816337904‬ or e mail:- ‪tonybarebones@hotmail.com‬

Your submissions will be attributed to you or your craft in the next publication or amendment of the "Blue Book" unless you desire otherwise.

A pro-forma can be found at the end of this message to assist you in describing your anchorages...

I have started the ball rolling in the A to Z list below.

----0----

Note... The Coordernates (Taken from Google maps) are intended as a reference to the anchorages approximate location only...

The user is reminded to reduce soundings to chart datum Newlyn and to correct for keel offset.

When reference is made in the guide to anchoring off a beach the distance off referred to is low water springs.

A cable is a nautical unit of length equivalent to...

720 feet (219 meters) in the U.S. Navy and 608 feet (185 meters) in the British Navy.

----0----

The Bristol Channel Yachting Association is the second largest yachting association in the U.K.

The "Blue Book" is available to purchase on line at £5.00 also the B.C.Y.A. house flag at £20.00 please visit www.bcya.org

----0----

Further to the above you are welcome to visit and join the Facebook group...

"C.B.Y.C. Members forum"

Where you can ask questions and communicate directly with me or other members of the forum on many topics regarding the Bristol Channel, vis: the approaches to Cardiff Bay, locking in procedure, places to moor,ad-infinitum...

----0----

This guide is presented without malice or prejudice and with a glad heart, after-all there is no slander or libel in the truth. E&O.E.

No responsibility can be taken for the veracity of depths and other information in this guide...

Finally, I've enjoyed compiling this guide as it's brought back many memories and I look forward to hearing from you one and all.

Tony Davies, Yacht "Barebones"

----0----

Note

Please use this guide with caution and prudence, employing good seamanship, referring to admiralty publications as necessary.

"Eternal vigilance
    is the price of safety.

----0----

Lastly, It's a wonder these anchorages have not previously been catalogued or perhaps they have, maybe I'm missing something?

A). Anchorage Name... Angle Bay...

Pay special attention to... Commercial vessels on approaching and leaving the anchorage...

From the North, East or West... Paying close attention to your sounding device...

Always proceed with caution and at slow speed...

Anchor Drop... To the West side of Angle Bay with the lifeboat slip open to view...

Buoying your anchor is strongly advised especially in a traditionally used anchorage where redundant mooring ground tackle may be present...

Coordinates...

(51.6896012,-5.0694874)...

Note... These Coordernates (Taken from Google maps) are intended as a reference to the anchorages approximate location only and are expressed as latitude and longitude...

Safe wind directions... South through to West...

Tidal streams... Good for flood or ebb...

Surrounding terrain... Low lying farmland to the East and South...

Landmarks... The Point House pub is prominent on the West side of Angle Bay also a derelict lifeboat slip on the same side...

Depth at low water springs... At least 2 metres...

Pay close attention to your echo sounder when coming into soundings...

Nature of the ground... Sand, Gravel, Shingle, Mud...

Holding... Good...

Ground tackle used... 25lb CQR anchor with 200ft of close link 10mm chain...

Useful information... This an ancient and very interesting place to visit...

Distance to nearest hostelry... The Point House public house is located on the West side of Angle Bay and is a short row ashore, there is also a pub located in Angle village which is about a half mile walk...

Supplies, fuel and etc... There are no shops or fuel in Angle...

Attributed to... Barebones...

----0----

Anchorage Name... Avon River...

Pay special attention to... This anchorage is only tenable on neap tides...

Approach to the anchorage... Either from up or down river... Paying close attention to your sounding device...

Anchor Drop... In the centre of the river Avon, opposite Portishead yacht club...

Buoying your anchor is strongly advised especially in a traditionally used anchorage where redundant mooring ground tackle may be present...

Coordinates...

(51.4825309,-2.6834529)...

Note... These Coordernates (Taken from Google maps) are intended as a reference to the anchorages approximate location only and are expressed as latitude and longitude...

Safe wind directions... Good in all wind directions...

Tidal streams... Good for the flood or ebb...

Surrounding terrain... Low lying river banks...

Landmarks... Pill is located on the West bank of the river opposite the anchorage...

Depth at low water neaps... At least 2 metres...

Nature of the ground... Mud, gravel and shingle...

Holding... Good...

Useful information... Portishead yacht club is located on the starboard bank of the River Avon next to the pill. Pill village is at the head of the pill...

Distance to nearest hostelry... 100 yards... The Duke of Cornwall & Portishead Yacht Club...

Supplies, fuel and etc... There are no shops or fuel in Pill...

----0----

The Y.B.W. Forum is restricted to 15,000 characters so I am unable to upload the full list...

Herewith the remainder on the list...

Barry Outer Harbour...
    Caldy Island West (Sandtop Bay).. Caldy Island North...
    Clovelly...
    Combe Martin (Sandy Bay)...
    Dale Roads...
    Flatholm East...
    Flatholm West...
    Hurlstone Point...
    Lundy East...
    Lundy West...
    Lynmouth...
    Minehead...Morte Bay...
    Mumbles...
    Newquay...
    Padstow...
    Porlock...
    Rannie Bay...
    Saundersfoot...
    St. Ives...
    Sully...
    Tenby...
    Usk River...
    Woody Bay...

----0----

The following is a pro-forma to help in describing your anchorages...

The unhighlighted text is an indicator of what to write...

Just copy and paste into your submission and fill in the rest...

Approach to the anchorage... Either from up or down river... Paying close attention to your sounding device...

Anchor Drop... In the centre of the river Avon, opposite Portishead yacht club...

Coordinates...

Landmarks... Pill is located on the West bank of the river opposite the anchorage...

Holding... Good...

Useful information... Portishead yacht club is located on the starboard bank of the River Avon next to the pill. Pill village is at the head of the pill...

Distance to nearest hostelry... 100 yards... The Duke of Cornwall & Portishead Yacht Club...

----0----
    Bristol Channel Yachting Association (B.C.Y.A.) go to
    http://www.bcya.org.uk/.

Default Re: Anchorages in the Bristol Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by tonybarebones View Post
    Yacht
    Anchorages in the
    Bristol Channel.
    (And approaches)

(Mk III)

Ahoy Shipmates, I've been charged by the Bristol Channel Yachting Association (B.C.Y.A.) to compile a guide to anchorages in the Bristol Channel for inclusion in...

"The Blue Book"
    (The B.C.Y.A Handbook)

We're very fortunate to have access to over 200 miles of coastline, inundated with many coves, inlets, rivers, bays and estuaries to anchor in.

I'm sure there must be a wealth of untapped knowledge out there regarding these anchorages.

It would be a big ask for an individual to know of every single anchorage in the channel, with this in mind I'd like to invite you, one and all, who have personally used anchorages to share them with me.

For the purpose of this guide I have considered the Bristol Channel to be East of an imaginary line between Cape Cornwall on the South Side and St. Davids Head on the North side and up channel as far as Sharpness...

Thus allowing anchorages as far West as Milford Haven and St Ives, which are attainable by a yacht in a few tides from up channel.

Please send me your submissions giving particular reference to...

Anchorage name...
    Pay Special attention to...
    Anchor drop...
    Coordinates...
    Safe wind directions...
    Tidal streams...
    Surrounding terrain...
    Landmarks...
    Depth at low water...
    Nature of the ground...
    Holding...
    Ground tackle used...
    Useful information...
    Distance to nearest hostelry...
    Supplies...
    Attributed to...

I'll then add them to the master list...

Please call me on ‪07 or e mail:-

Your submissions will be attributed to you or your craft in the next publication or amendment of the "Blue Book" unless you desire otherwise.

A pro-forma can be found at the end of this message to assist you in describing your anchorages...

I have started the ball rolling in the A to Z list below.

----0----

Note... The Coordernates (Taken from Google maps) are intended as a reference to the anchorages approximate location only...

The user is reminded to reduce soundings to chart datum Newlyn and to correct for keel offset.

When reference is made in the guide to anchoring off a beach the distance off referred to is low water springs.

A cable is a nautical unit of length equivalent to...

720 feet (219 meters) in the U.S. Navy and 608 feet (185 meters) in the British Navy.

----0----

The Bristol Channel Yachting Association is the second largest yachting association in the U.K.

The "Blue Book" is available to purchase on line at £5.00 also the B.C.Y.A. house flag at £20.00 please visit www.bcya.org

----0----

Further to the above you are welcome to visit and join the Facebook group...

"C.B.Y.C. Members forum"

Where you can ask questions and communicate directly with me or other members of the forum on many topics regarding the Bristol Channel, vis: the approaches to Cardiff Bay, locking in procedure, places to moor,ad-infinitum...

----0----

This guide is presented without malice or prejudice and with a glad heart, after-all there is no slander or libel in the truth. E&O.E.

No responsibility can be taken for the veracity of depths and other information in this guide...

Finally, I've enjoyed compiling this guide as it's brought back many memories and I look forward to hearing from you one and all.

Tony Davies, Yacht "Barebones"

----0----

Note

Please use this guide with caution and prudence, employing good seamanship, referring to admiralty publications as necessary.

"Eternal vigilance
    is the price of safety.

----0----

Lastly, It's a wonder these anchorages have not previously been catalogued or perhaps they have, maybe I'm missing something?

A). Anchorage Name... Angle Bay...

Pay special attention to... Commercial vessels on approaching and leaving the anchorage...

From the North, East or West... Paying close attention to your sounding device...

Always proceed with caution and at slow speed...

Anchor Drop... To the West side of Angle Bay with the lifeboat slip open to view...

Coordinates...

(51.6896012,-5.0694874)...

Safe wind directions... South through to West...

Tidal streams... Good for flood or ebb...

Surrounding terrain... Low lying farmland to the East and South...

Landmarks... The Point House pub is prominent on the West side of Angle Bay also a derelict lifeboat slip on the same side...

Depth at low water springs... At least 2 metres...

Pay close attention to your echo sounder when coming into soundings...

Nature of the ground... Sand, Gravel, Shingle, Mud...

Holding... Good...

Useful information... This an ancient and very interesting place to visit...

Distance to nearest hostelry... The Point House public house is located on the West side of Angle Bay and is a short row ashore, there is also a pub located in Angle village which is about a half mile walk...

Supplies, fuel and etc... There are no shops or fuel in Angle...

----0----

Coordinates...

Holding... Good...

----0----

The Y.B.W. Forum is restricted to 15,000 characters so I am unable to upload the full list...

Herewith the remainder on the list...

Barry Outer Harbour...
    Caldy Island West (Sandtop Bay).. Caldy Island North...
    Clovelly...
    Combe Martin (Sandy Bay)...
    Dale Roads...
    Flatholm East...
    Flatholm West...
    Hurlstone Point...
    Lundy East...
    Lundy West...
    Lynmouth...
    Minehead...Morte Bay...
    Mumbles...
    Newquay...
    Padstow...
    Porlock...
    Rannie Bay...
    Saundersfoot...
    St. Ives...
    Sully...
    Tenby...
    Usk River...
    Woody Bay...

----0----

The following is a pro-forma to help in describing your anchorages...

The unhighlighted text is an indicator of what to write...

Just copy and paste into your submission and fill in the rest...

Coordinates...

Holding... Good...

----0----
    I suggest that you use the PM ( private message ) system & remove your personal contact details from a public forum

Well done trying to getting it all in for the Blue Book. We have used both of those you suggested adding. There is however a small snack shop in Angle village and a stores in Pill. No chandlers though at either. Are you interested in harbours also, as I believe that Barry Old Harbour is not listed but I have dried out two boats near the mole and walked ashore for ice-creams while awaiting the tide
    A boat is for going places

Can I ask for an addition to the book? Most things I can carry, but fuel I cannot, a shortlist of fuel stops / stations etc might be an idea? Ditto presumably places that offer repairs of sorts?

Petrol. A book with petrol I would love.

I don't have knowledge to contribute, but feel I must say 'well done' for embarking on such a worthy task.

I now live at the other end of the country, but maybe one day I'll get the opportunity to make use of your endeavours.
    LM27 - All the Scandi-noir heroes have one!

Quote Originally Posted by vodzurk View Post
    Petrol. A book with petrol I would love.
    But with petrol you won’t get far enough from Portishead to need a book....

Quote Originally Posted by bitbaltic View Post
    But with petrol you won’t get far enough from Portishead to need a book....
    Artists impression of how we'll look going further than Weston...

petrol_needed.png
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

V good!
    See the rainbow not the rain