Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fowey

Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar

Default Re: Fowey

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    That's good, but I'm still waiting for someone to provide mains power and water on a mooring.
    You’re gonna struggle with that at Fowey, Yealm and the Fal too!

I was in Fowey on a mateís 45 foot boat 2 weeks ago. £27 for the night on a swing mooring. I think that is great value. A safe mooring in a lovely spot. We had 4 people onboard so less than £7 each.

The water taxi at £5 each return for a few hundred yards journey was not such good value in my opinion.

It would be even cheaper if you had 10 on board but I still worry they are doing a Salcombe and about to drive away their bread and butter visitors who cruise just two up. The town was absolutely buzzing with people, rammed to the gills were his exact words, though deserted on the moorings. An indication for sure.
    Sutton harbour did this a few years back and no one visited, the gin palaces and school boats still arrived but their bread and butter trade disappeared over one silly price increases. They did realise it and I for one was contacted being a regular as to why the sudden stoppage.
    Last edited by robertj; 11-05-18 at 06:07.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    It would be even cheaper if you had 10 on board but I still worry they are doing a Salcombe and about to drive away their bread and butter visitors who cruise just two up. The town was absolutely buzzing with people, rammed to the gills were his exact words, though deserted on the moorings. An indication for sure.
    Sutton harbour did this a few years back and no one visited, the gin palaces and school boats still arrived but their bread and butter trade disappeared over one silly price increases. They did realise it and I for one was contacted being a regular as to why the sudden stoppage.
    I suspect that some harbour authorities are bringing on people from a leisure management background ( or getting pressure from people with general commercial experience) who still assume that boating in it's many forms is an activity that is only undertaken by the wealthy and that people will happily pay until the pips squeak as I believe MDL consultant in the 1980's / 1990's claimed.

Hopefully the lesson will be learned - not just in Fowey but in all such "leisure" based harbours.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    ....And then there's Polperro!
    You mean here:-

Last edited by Seven Spades; 16-05-18 at 09:41.

Been to fowey by car a few times and even here they are pressing the self destruction button, four years ago the ferry was around a fiver each way, then parking was extortionate. We haven't been since, pity boat owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    You mean here:-

Is that a 35 or 39?

Is the line going to a bouy?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishelen View Post
    Been to fowey by car a few times and even here they are pressing the self destruction button, four years ago the ferry was around a fiver each way, then parking was extortionate. We haven't been since, pity boat owners.
    Fowey really does not need people driving into the middle of town. It spoils it for everyone.
    I went there the week before last.
    Parked for free on the edge of town, pleasant ten minute walk down to Readymoney and then through town to nice coffee in the Tollbar Cafe, sat on the balcony in the sunshine.
    As usual, I could not afford anything I liked in the art gallery.
    It's clearly not the 1980s any more, but I still like the place.
    Best thing is to get a mooring mid river, to get a good view of the Troys racing.
    I find both clubs quite hospitable, but I'm more at home in the Gallants.

Where did you find free parking? Wouldn't dream of driving through there. They are pricing us poor people out of it.
    Last edited by chrishelen; 17-05-18 at 20:03.

Fowey is very pleasant in the early months late March to early May then September onwards I have enjoyed going their both by sail and car for over 30 years and have seen the changes both in the village and the people, inevitable I suppose. Now it's just visiting friends and scrounging a bed but I don't go during the high summer season.Change is not always beneficial but as an outsider one accepts it and enjoys what is left or moves on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast