Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fowey

Default Re: Fowey

Quote Originally Posted by chrishelen View Post
    Been to fowey by car a few times and even here they are pressing the self destruction button, four years ago the ferry was around a fiver each way, then parking was extortionate. We haven't been since, pity boat owners.
    Long time lurker - first time poster but pity isn't needed.
    I have my boat on a trot (directly opposite Gallants). Parking all day in the council carpark costs £6. It's free between 6 PM and 9 AM. The foot ferry is £2.50 per journey and the car ferry went up this year to around £4 for a car. It's never been higher than that. And I get to enjoy some of the most stunning coastal scenery in the country.
    I try to avoid regatta week unless I'm actually racing because it really is busy then both on and off the water but apart from that I can think of few places I'd prefer be sailing from.

Quote Originally Posted by UMCorps View Post
    Long time lurker - first time poster but pity isn't needed.
    I have my boat on a trot (directly opposite Gallants). Parking all day in the council carpark costs £6. It's free between 6 PM and 9 AM. The foot ferry is £2.50 per journey and the car ferry went up this year to around £4 for a car. It's never been higher than that. And I get to enjoy some of the most stunning coastal scenery in the country.
    I try to avoid regatta week unless I'm actually racing because it really is busy then both on and off the water but apart from that I can think of few places I'd prefer be sailing from.
    That's sounds lovely, we certainly love fowey, but you are still looking at £14 just to visit. If the council car park is full what is the alternative? I remember I left my sunglasses on a bench near the ferry, the ferry guy charged me both ways to get them... Little things.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishelen View Post
    If the council car park is full what is the alternative?
    It's unusual for all four of them to be full (3.5 really as Albert Quay isn't worth the effort). As I usually need slip access, Caffa Mill is my first choice but the private car park on Station Road is my fallback when that is full. It's a bit cheaper too. But even during regatta week last year when both of those were full I could still find a place in the main car park. Not much use if you need to launch a tender though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Fowey is very pleasant in the early months late March to early May then September onwards I have enjoyed going their both by sail and car for over 30 years and have seen the changes both in the village and the people, inevitable I suppose. Now it's just visiting friends and scrounging a bed but I don't go during the high summer season.Change is not always beneficial but as an outsider one accepts it and enjoys what is left or moves on.
    Reluctantly Iíve moved on

Fowey seems to be either packed or empty when I visit. I do think the Red Arrows not being there again this year will lessen the visitors attending the regatta. I always enjoyed the display within the harbour, but will not rush there to see the display in the bay. Fowey is an easy relaxing place from Falmouth for the weekend, so I will certainly be visiting again this year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234