Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Disaster!

Default Re: Disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I don't know if this is any help, Pete, but I have got some old Seafire controllers (the ones with the toggle switch) in my shed in Spain (Paniola).
    I kept them after upgrading to the solid state ones.
    You probably don't need them but I thought I'd say that they are there if you do.
    Mike

I am always amazed by the amount of kit you have in your shed and are willing to part with to help others..... A true Samaritan I recon
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Mike

I am always amazed by the amount of kit you have in your shed and are willing to part with to help others..... A true Samaritan I recon
    Hurricane's shed lol Mikes shed.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Hurricane's shed lol Mikes shed.jpg
    I wish!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Mike

It comes mainly from not throwing things away.
    I believe it is Parkinson's law - the amount of stuff you have is directly proportional to the space that is available.

These little sheds in Sant Carles are worth every penny that we pay to rent/buy them.
    We bought ours with the berth and it could actually be worth more than the berth!!
    Each Paniola (thats what the Spanish call them) is about an 8 foot cube.
    I keep oil/coolant for the engines stacked in the corners.
    A few years ago, we built a substantial shelf (more like a second floor) so things like spare covers and inflatables that we don't use go on top.
    Paints, spare anodes and cleaning equipment etc - all go in there.
    A great feature for us is that our shed is between the boat and the car park (en-route to the marina club/bar) so we keep the electric bikes in there as well.
    4 bikes in total - 2 ready for immediate use.
    With the bikes, we can leave the boat and be in town, shopping in minutes after picking the bikes up on the way.
    Always in shorts and T shirts of course.

We would be lost without these little sheds.
    I understand that Pete managed to get a Paniola so I think he is set up as well.

EDIT
    This pic was taken of the shed in 2012 - I'm afraid that there is a LOT more stuff in there now.
    The bikes go on the right and we can then just about shut the door!!

Last edited by Hurricane; 09-05-18 at 09:49.

No sadly they said I was unable to sublet the Paniol so it was allocated to the person at the top of the waiting list (Debs I think).

Have been reflecting on this incident over the past few days.

As I said, fortunately our extinguisher was an FM200 one and the gas (vapour actually) therefore is not poisonous or messy. If I had had a halon system it could have been fatal. If anyone still has halon on board (I know some people do) then I would get it replaced as soon as possible. And make yourself scarce whilst the old extinguishers are removed!

If I'd have had a powder system, then it would certainly have created a large clean up job for my engine bay. Note that any residue that isn't removed will attract moisture and can cause damage to electrical systems.

Also be aware that even with the locking pin in place, some extinguishers can still be accidentally discharged. So because not to fiddle or knock them.

I'm starting to receive quotes for the replacement unit (we don't believe the old one can be re-filled and in any case it is 17 years old and has some surface rust which is less than ideal). A cheap auto powder unit would be €115 + tax or €50 for a manual version. A like for like replacement of the original FD300 is £800 + vat from the UK or €990 + VAT from Spain.

I did learn that in Spain, extinguishers require a statutory 10 year pressure test. I wonder how many people have this test done?

I think the 10 years is a seafire requirement and yes mine was done. E1000

I am surprised how reasonable your replacement is. I would do it properly unless the copy will also properly integrate into the seafire system.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I think the 10 years is a seafire requirement and yes mine was done. E1000

I am surprised how reasonable your replacement is. I would do it properly unless the copy will also properly integrate into the seafire system.
    Yep, Seafire require retest and recert of the cylinder at 10 years, and by implication if you don't do this then you'd have a hard time arguing that you'd complied with any insurance requirement to maintain the fire system in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

you guys are lucky...
    in Greece I have to get my 2X3kg (iirc) + 2X2kg powder whatever extinguishers to the shop for testing EVERY 12M.
    OK cost may not be serious (maybe 50euro for all of them each year), but it does built up

V.

Could you borrow one off another boat and replace when yours arrives.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456