Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Trailer sailor maximum widtb

It's not just the width I'd worry about but the weight and power of your car.

I recall the time I called into a brickyard in my VW Beetle and trailer and got them to put a pallet of bricks on the trailer (the trailer was down to the axles as I drove out the yard). As I was approaching the traffic lights I thought "I bet these lights change" and sure enough they did. I hit the brakes and skidded half-way through the intersection and then jack-knifed but in the wrong direction. I kept going as though I meant to go that way but when all the traffic passed me I did a "U" turn and went home without further incident.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Creosote View Post
    Gov.uk site shows the maximum size for a trailer as 2.55M wide x 7M long.

But a boat isn't a Trailer! it's a load on that trailer.

As long as it is clearly marked, a load may overhang the sides by 305mm up to a max width of 2.9M. And overhang at the rear by 3.05M
    Giving an overall max of 10.05M x 2.9M before the abnormal load regulations become relevant.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ds-on-vehicles
    Gov doesn't seem to want you to know this. You have to search hard to find what should be under "what can you tow" on the Gov.uk site.
    This is good advice, and what I relied upon when towing my old E-Boat (beam = 2.8m) which is in theory over width for a trailer but not as an overhang.

Remember that in mainland Europe their regs are different to the UK. There they need to tilt the E-Boat (and others like Mini 6.50s) over to one side to reduce it's effective with to tow it.

Thanks very much for the replies everybody.Yes the GOV site doesn't seem to mention the overhangs which as pointed out that up to 2.9Mtrs is acceptable.If I buy the boat advertised I would hire the biggest 4x4 possible.Would be quite tricky for PLOD to measure a boat at it's widest point I would have thought!Last time I did it I hired something like a four wheel tipper and set off for Windermere from Ormskirk at 4 in the morning.Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Yes 2.55m width and 7m lenghth if the tow vehicle is under 3500kg
    https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/w...d-width-limits
    The second statement there

is definitely wrong. Trailers longer than 7m are perfectly legal, as long as they have been built specifically to carry a "single, indivisible load". My Drascombe Longboat trailer is about 8m long and I used to tow a glider trailer which was around 10m from tow hitch to rear end. Mind you, some police forces didn't know the rules so the British Gliding Association obtained standard guidance from the DoT which we used to carry and show if required.

The issue of trailer size comes up regularly, and on a previous occasion I spend some time trying to find out if a similar exemption exists for trailer width. I wasn't able to find conclusive proof either way. There certainly are, as has been pointed out, rules about wide loads, but they seem to relate to the load as a whole and not the trailer on which it sits.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Without wishing to sound to patronising or arrogant please remember who puts the information on the Government websites and who their intended audience is. Their general operating principal is to keep things simple....... The advice they give works for most of the people most of the time, but legislation, especially some of the Road Traffic stuff, is a bit of a minefield and it's generally better to go right back to the source if you want a definitive answer. There's also an awful lot of folklore out there...... and as for forums.....

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    Without wishing to sound to patronising or arrogant please remember who puts the information on the Government websites and who their intended audience is.
    A completely agree that the stuff there should be simple, but they could add a "generally" or "in most cases" to avoid giving definitely wrong answers.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

It's probably not a legal requirement, but I'd recommend that if your load is significantly wider than your towing vehicle you consider having forward (and rear) facing lights at the extreme width.

It's not a problem on motorways, but oncoming vehicles on e.g. country roads won't see the projecting load at night without them. I nearly came to grief once as a result.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12