Default TODO: cosmetic stuff, please help

Hi guys! 2 questions:

1. can you explain me what to do with this Oceanis 37 table? It's teak, I guess. Oil? Grease? Sand?

2. also, anyone of you know the reference of the holder parts which are missing on this cover? Also on the Oceanis 37.

Thank you
    Regards

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

Default Re: TODO: cosmetic stuff, please help

Is it Teak or just venire? If the later you need to be careful not to sand through. You can put new venire on but it is not cheap. Sand and varnish is my preference. I use epifanes gloss varnish which works well but you need to put a good few layers on

It looks like solid wood from the photo but a high chance it could be veneer. If solid it wants a dam good seeing to with some 180 grit sand paper and upwards followed by as already mentioned epifanes high gloss. Lovely stuff

If the oil is through then you’ll either have to live with it or throw it away as I’d guess it has soaked in quite a way?

Veneer then I’d be wanting a new one!
    Last edited by matthewriches; 07-05-18 at 16:59.
    Electrics & electronics Suffolk & Southwold Boatyard
    Custom Panels + Eberspacher/Webasto

Almost certainly very neglected teak veneer over ply. The capping round the edge is solid teak used to cover the end grain of the ply. As said the veneer may be very thin so will not stand much sanding so you will be lucky to get it back to good condition as the water staining will likely be deep. Suggest you use one of the proprietary teak cleaners and then see what it is like hen all the surface muck is removed. You may be able to shift the stains with oxalid acid and a light sanding. Once you get it to a respectable finish suggest you use International Woodskin to coat it. This has a light stain which will help get the colour more even, but most importantly it is breathable so will not crack or flake. Very important if you want to leave it outside. If it is solid teak then you can be a bit more severe with sanding, but otherwise the treatment is the same.

Best thing you can do to extend its life once you have renovated it is to cover it up when not in use.
    Last edited by Tranona; 07-05-18 at 16:59.

Well, now that you wrote about that, I believe it's veneer because I remember to see some curling thin wood underneath...