Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default It's that time....

RNLI 2017 accounts highlights :

All figures are in m.

Income is up from 197.8 (2016) to 202.4 (2017). In this, legacies increased by 4.6 but donations are down by 1.9.

Operating expenses are down by 1.2 mainly due to a fall in fund raising costs of 4.4

Net gains on investments represent 10.5 compared with 20.6 last year.

Finally actuarial gains on the pension fund total 22.8 compared with a loss last year of 67.9

The net addition for the year to funds is therefore 53.7 bringing the year end funds total to 766.3.

Paid employee costs increased from 75.3 to 80.2

FTE non seasonal headcount increased from 1608 to 1631.

Directors earning more than 60K per year increased from 51 to 54.

The investment directly in completed lifeboats totalled 17.9.

Default Re: It's that time....

So what?

Well
    A) Sybarite is entitled to post it if he wants to. Not everybody wants him to but more surely would not want him to not be able to post a matter of importance to him and others; and
    b) Criticism of the RNLI - once a simple no-go to right thinking people - is now centre stage. As another thread has identified, Libby Purves wrote an article in today's Times on the main articles page. She is a very sensible, erudite woman and a dedicated sailor and would have thought long and hard about 'posting' that article.
    Some might think that the RNLI does not have too long to mend its ways - a longish time, yes but not too long. It took a very long time to get where they are financially and if they lose the plot.....

"....54 directors earning ....er, being paid.... more than 60,000 p.a....."

What do they all do?

They do very well from legacies, due in part to their exemplary 'sales team'. One other way in which they generate substantial funds is via their 'Free Wills Service'.

https://rnli.org/support-us/give-mon...-wills-service

This excellent idea is used by several charities - we've used it ourselves - and, despite the contemporary concern about 'Snowflake Management', it remains a very good way of achieving a 'Win-Win'.

I recommend readers to have a look.

Another case in todays news a skipper with 34 years service sacked for an unauthorised training exercise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stitution.html

As said the RYA are in danger of alienating a large number of those that would donate and leave legacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Another case in todays news a skipper with 34 years service sacked for an unauthorised training exercise.
    I get the impression that he took a couple of non-crew pals out for a jolly on a training exercise without permission. I doubt that any organisation anywhere would be happy with that.

A recurring them of these news tems seems to be local crews thinking of their lifeboats as their own toys.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I get the impression that he took a couple of non-crew pals out for a jolly on a training exercise without permission. I doubt that any organisation anywhere would be happy with that.

A recurring them of these news tems seems to be local crews thinking of their lifeboats as their own toys.
    In defense he claims that he was often instructed to take out charity donors.

interesting post as a long standing member and supporter for the RNLI I like many of us will have had the RNLI lottery tickets to sell which I have no problem with.

BUT I do have a problem with so called pen pushing 'so called managers' many who have probably not even served on a lifeboat, plus after reading the sacking of a very
    experienced skipper with over 34 years experience may just have ended my fund raising efforts for next year.
    Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    In defense he claims that he was often instructed to take out charity donors.
    Instructed to do is one thing. Taking a couple of mates out without authorisation is quite another. A bit like the difference between towing in a vessel while tasked by the CG and launching on your own authority to save a mate the cost of a commercial tow into harbour.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Caer Urfa View Post
    I do have a problem with so called pen pushing 'so called managers' many who have probably not even served on a lifeboat, plus after reading the sacking of a very
    experienced skipper with over 34 years experience may just have ended my fund raising efforts for next year.
    Which part of this behaviour do you consider is even remotely OK? Why would it not be entirely appropriate for managers to discipline it? You're employed to drive lifeboats, you take one out to give some people a jolly, you leave its crew behind and you don't tell the CG that the asset is now unavailable for rescue duties?

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2018...rough-coxswain

When the CG calls the RNLI out to save your life, would you be content to be told that someone had taken the boat out for some fun but they'd ask him to return to his station, pick up his crew and put to sea when he was ready?!

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast