Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where can I source this type of chainplate fitting?

Personally I would avoid having the deck-plate welded to the Vee because the characteristics of the Stainless steel are easily affected by the heat of welding - if not properly done. I would prefer something like this:

Whatever your choice, your best bet re safety is to go for a manufacturer with a good reputation, even if more expensive, like Wichard.

p.s. check whether the 'U' or 'V' part is straight or whether it is angled. Sometimes they have a 5o angle to be more in line with the shrouds.
    Last edited by PuffTheMagicDragon; 08-05-18 at 14:11.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    Personally I would avoid having the deck-plate welded to the Vee because the characteristics of the Stainless steel are easily affected by the heat of welding - if not properly done. I would prefer something like this:

Whatever your choice, your best bet re safety is to go for a manufacturer with a good reputation, even if more expensive, like Wichard.

p.s. check whether the 'U' or 'V' part is straight or whether it is angled. Sometimes they have a 5o angle to be more in line with the shrouds.
    Agree about not welding the plate. I like the Seasure one that I used as it has a separate plate and a nut with a rubber cover above it.

OK maybe I am stupid! I assumed from the colour on my screen that it was bronze. Sorry.
    ..down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crow-black, fishingboat-bobbing sea.

V part is angled - I have specified 8 degrees. Going to get it welded because the original was . . . all the working has been around the stud where it goes through the deck and the backing plate, the welds are fine.

Going with 'a manufacturer with a good reputation' h m m m . . . the local metal shop I am using has an excellent reputation.

- W

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post

Going with 'a manufacturer with a good reputation' h m m m . . . the local metal shop I am using has an excellent reputation.

- W
    That's OK.

Whatever I can do, I do myself, especially machining and fabrication. However, when welding of stainless steel or aluminium is involved I go to the engineering works of an old friend (have known each other for around forty years) who has some employees who are real experts. The only 'problem' I have is that he always refuses payment; that's when a bottle of single malt come in handy when later I pop in to say hello because I 'happen to be in the vicinity'.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

That's OK.

Whatever I can do, I do myself, especially machining and fabrication. However, when welding of stainless steel or aluminium is involved I go to the engineering works of an old friend (have known each other for around forty years) who has some employees who are real experts. The only 'problem' I have is that he always refuses payment; that's when a bottle of single malt come in handy when later I pop in to say hello because I 'happen to be in the vicinity'.
    Bottles of single malt are my favourite currency

- W

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    Bottles of single malt are my favourite currency

- W
    Make sure the stainless is 316L low carbon. This is the best when welding stainless steel.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12