Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bedding compound on wooden deck

Hi chaps,

I am chopping all the timber stanchions off my boat and replacing the covering board.

The new covering board is laminated larch, the nibbed plank next to it works like oak and I think the rest of the deck is keruing.

My new stanchions are welded up out of 8mm 5083 ally. They're going to be screwed down with 316 screws.

What should I use to bed them down on the deck with for minimal leaks and rot points?

Cheers

Default Re: Bedding compound on wooden deck

I would favour either polysulphide (Evo-Stick Polysulphide as available from Jewsons etc. or Arbokol 1000) or butyl rubber (Arbomast BR). I have used both, either sticks well and remains flexible which is important for stanchions on a wooden boat. Unlike Sikaflex, they allow for removal of fittings in the future. The polysulphides come in a range of colours while the Arbomast is usually grey.

Arbomast BR comes in grey and brown, I have used it extensively with great success.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

A word of caution - it’s best to secure stanchions onto pads (teak or iroko etc) which are a good half inch thick and a good half inch to an inch bigger than the stanchion bases. This is standard good boatbuilding practice and greatly reduces the inevitable leaks. As regards sealant, give all the timber surfaces a couple of coats of primer and let it dry well before applying the mastic. This stops the solvent in the mastic leaching into the wood and leaving the mastic dry and crumbling..

A second word of caution - 'Screws'! I regard screws for stanchions as very dangerous. Not suitable for that purpose. But that's my opinion.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    A second word of caution - 'Screws'! I regard screws for stanchions as very dangerous. Not suitable for that purpose. But that's my opinion.
    Don't think the stanchions here are for guard rails but for the covering boards. Perhaps the OP could clarify.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Yes, I am assuming for bulwarks.

I replaced my oak bulwark stanchions with teak through a teak covering board and did it that way, but the OP’s method is better, I think.

I agree it isn't clear but even for use for the bulwarks I wouldn't use screws. Screws are great at resisting a direct pull but a stanchion will inherently put pressure on the side. I think it is a good idea to avoid the timber stanchions through the deck; keeping the deck watertight is then a nightmare. On TG the chainplates were originally through the covering board and fastened on the inside of the planks and the then 1985 surveyor recommended they were external as they were constantly working at the covering board. Since then there has been no trouble. And bolting through 'yacht style' stanchions can be achieved without causing deck leaks.

They'll be held down with stainless lag bolts, me and the surveyor (actually a marine engineer not a yacht-poker) did the stresses on them, it will be adequate.
    I see what you're saying and don't disagree but it would not be possible to do the nuts up on the inside of the covering board further aft, there is too much timber work in the way.

These stanchions are for timber bulwarks not for wires or ropes.

Can't get a pic to upload to show you

aka to me - coachbolts. I had to use coachbolts on the outer fastenings for the pushpit and pulpit as the hull shape made bolts impossible. I was thinking originally you were using screws.

Good oh.

Images are possible if you have a hosting site. Or email it to me via my web site and I'll host it to the thread for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast