Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bedding compound on wooden deck

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Yes, I am assuming for bulwarks.

I replaced my oak bulwark stanchions with teak through a teak covering board and did it that way, but the OP’s method is better, I think.
    Teak through teak would be really good but I would have to sell a kidney and take up international arms smuggling or something as well. The original stanchions are 6" square approx and the covering board is 9"x 2 1/2" thick and I have about 40' each side to replace. Would be a few quid in that lot to do it in teak.

Dsc_0448 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Dsc_0455 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Thanks for sorting those pics out for me

No worries. I suspect I would have a timber 'pad', under the stanchions, bedded on polysulphide. Not sure it needs the pads but I would have done.

Nice bit of welding (I zoomed in).

Cheers, bit of a learning curve doing them. I suspect I'll have the hang of it by the time I've done the other 33.

On my knees on deck today, I reminded I should have said I needed the pads because I had standard vertical bases and so needed shaped pads adjusted to cope for the 'tilt' of the deck.

These are just getting bedded straight down with polysulphide - no pad. Partly because I'd already spent a few hundred quid on 316 coach screws to hold them down and they would have been to short with an extra pad in there.

Did the first one today, the sealant takes enough slack up and the radius of the shearline is large enough that a flat base is fine.

Regarding the angle, just to make life more fun, all of these stanchions will be at different angles, so they are at the same angle as the originals. I think it would have looked weird if they were all perpendicular to the deck

My only concern is screwing down onto both the decking and the covering board and whether there is likely to be movement between the two. Assume they both sit on the beam shelf so hopefully both are stable.

It's a thought. They're secured together with a 16mm steel pin driven in 20" from the outside.
    Not secured to the deck beams as they stop at the beam shelf, not all the way to the shear plank.

Doubt they'll move far. Have had a lot of problems with the deck shrinking in the heat this past few month and the joint between covering board and first deck plank (nibbed plank? Not sure what you call it) is the only one that hasn't opened up.

The rest have all opened up 1mm or so, the problem with taking a deck that's been wet and covered in fish for 50 year and letting it dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
    These are just getting bedded straight down with polysulphide - no pad. Partly because I'd already spent a few hundred quid on 316 coach screws to hold them down and they would have been to short with an extra pad in there.

Did the first one today, the sealant takes enough slack up and the radius of the shearline is large enough that a flat base is fine.

Regarding the angle, just to make life more fun, all of these stanchions will be at different angles, so they are at the same angle as the originals. I think it would have looked weird if they were all perpendicular to the deck
    My pads were only there to sort the angle on the deck right. Fortunately I was able to re-use the original iroko pads. More photos?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast