Default Pyfleet Creek Queries

Hi, we visited Pyfleet over the weekend and I have a couple of queries that regular visitors may be able help with.

1. The mooring buoys - is it OK to use the white mooring buoys to starboard as you enter, for overnight stays? There are two lines of about 10 in total, only three or four used when we arrived, one other had an unreadable paper notice on it. We anchored further in, but did notice some other arrivals picking up buoys. The East Coast Pilot mentions them but doesn’t give any indication of use.

2. I think I have read somewhere that you can go ashore on the left where the buildings/works are an buy oysters and shellfish. Is this correct?

Lovely visit, by the way. The creek was shrouded in mist in the early Tuesday morning sun and we had a visit from a lonely turnstone that spent about 10 minutes sitting on our windlass.

Default Re: Pyfleet Creek Queries

Relying on my unreliable memory but I think that the oyster company installed the buoys and asked that boats picked them up rather than anchoring to avoid damaging the oyster beds thereabouts. Anchoring ok further up the creek

Which edition of the ECP do you have? The current edition specifically mentions the white buoys and the labels attached to them (including a photo of one of them), which give you a contact number to pay a mooring fee. ECP also mentions going ashore to the fishery to buy produce.
    Last edited by Cantata; 10-05-18 at 22:18.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

I love Pyfleet, one of my favourite anchorages.

I called the Oyster fishery last season about their buoys and was told that many had been rented out for the year to boat owners but if any were free we were welcome to use. Used one myself last bank holiday weekend, didn't see any signage on the buoys. We do sometimes order a platter though and go across to collect it (they'll leave it in their outside chiller for you to collect at the weekend) which saves any guilt about whether one should or shouldn't pay a fee. Great place, hope to be back at the end of the month.

We were up at the boat last weekend and I checked my copy of ECP. I think we have the version previous to the latest one.

Thanks for all the comments.