Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: KAD 300 problem - fuse blown- NOT the compressor fuse the other one

Ordinarily I would just get something of eBay or maplins and modify it a bit. But this one supplies the power to the engine ECU and I suspect it does a bit more than regulate the incoming voltage. So I have gone for a new volvo one because if I got it wrong and the ECU goes bang that will be a proper bill. Still a massive rip off though.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    Ordinarily I would just get something of eBay or maplins and modify it a bit. But this one supplies the power to the engine ECU and I suspect it does a bit more than regulate the incoming voltage. So I have gone for a new volvo one because if I got it wrong and the ECU goes bang that will be a proper bill. Still a massive rip off though.
    surely you're going to hack the dead one open and see what's inside!
    maybe it's salvageable and kept as spare for the god forbid, next one going...

V.

Absolutely. It has an epoxy covering at one end. Hopefully that's just a thin layer. Otherwise it's going in a bath of nitromors to see what's inside.

I would hope you got a generous discount, one of the VP centres are normally competitive and offer a better price, it’s worth a couple of phone calls as they don’t show the discounted prices online, no one pays full retail anymore.

Absolutely. It has an epoxy covering at one end. Hopefully that's just a thin layer. Otherwise it's going in a bath of nitromors to see what's inside.

careful with nitromors you don't want to dissolve the lot, and the id/serial# of the components in there!

V.

K, did you ever strip the voltage converter down?

G
    Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Lord. No idea what voltage it converts but DC DC converters I buy on eBay are £5 for a variety of voltages ( 24/12 24/5 12/5 etc)
    A resurrected thread .

The DC DC convertor is to stabilise the voltage and current to the ecu when cranking the engine .

Too many ECU failures in the early days , Princess tried by wiring the ECU feed direct to the batteries on the 44 , by the time the 300 came out the convertor was standard fit through a loom alteration inside the black box, an example would be that when cranking the engine the battery voltage is 10 volts into the convertor but 12 volts output , itís a clever inverter if you like , and yes Iím sure the likes of RS or marlins have them ..

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    K, did you ever strip the voltage converter down?
    yes, this afternoon, your post reminded me.
    Didn't do a full strip down, as the circuit board is totally immersed in epoxy. Removing the epoxy does more damage so not repairable at all. However I got enough of it off to get the idea what the module does. It is a proper DC to DC converter (I had suspected it was just some cheap surge suppressor). However I doubt it cost more than £25 to make - I can appreciate Volvo need to make a profit but £600 is taking the p@ss. In the unlucky event I need another one I will be scouring RS components website.

edit - bored today so been rummaging around. This should do the job perfectly, the 12V supply to the supercharger clutch does not go through the Dc - DC converter. (NOTE need to do a few measurements, average current, max current, nominal output voltage from exiting convertors, to be sure so please anyone don't shoot off and buy one with out checking)
    http://www.cactusnav.com/alfatronix-...t-p-13609.html, £70 !!!
    Last edited by kashurst; 12-07-19 at 16:13.

yes, this afternoon, your post reminded me.
    Didn't do a full strip down, as the circuit board is totally immersed in epoxy. Removing the epoxy does more damage so not repairable at all. However I got enough of it off to get the idea what the module does. It is a proper DC to DC converter (I had suspected it was just some cheap surge suppressor). However I doubt it cost more than £25 to make - I can appreciate Volvo need to make a profit but £600 is taking the p@ss. In the unlucky event I need another one I will be scouring RS components website.

edit - bored today so been rummaging around. This should do the job perfectly, the 12V supply to the supercharger clutch does not go through the Dc - DC converter. (NOTE need to do a few measurements, average current, max current, nominal output voltage from exiting convertors, to be sure so please anyone don't shoot off and buy one with out checking)
    http://www.cactusnav.com/alfatronix-...t-p-13609.html, £70 !!!
    Hi Just found this thread and seemed relevant to something I am looking at now. I have a KAD44 and am on my 2nd EDC in 3 years. My engine doesn't have a dc to dc converter but a floating diode on some loose cables. I am paranoid that I will have another EDC go and leave me stranded and £2.5k out of pocket. I was wondering about fitting a DC to Dc converter into the supply side of the engine controls and have asked a couple of suppliers who dont seem to be able to advise if their unit will do the trick I was considering a Victron Tr 12/12 -9 or a BEP Surge Protection Module 12v Dc . I dont mind spending a few quid if it gives me piece of mind and security. Any suggestions?? All help and suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pmitch View Post
    Hi Just found this thread and seemed relevant to something I am looking at now. I have a KAD44 and am on my 2nd EDC in 3 years. My engine doesn't have a dc to dc converter but a floating diode on some loose cables. I am paranoid that I will have another EDC go and leave me stranded and £2.5k out of pocket. I was wondering about fitting a DC to Dc converter into the supply side of the engine controls and have asked a couple of suppliers who dont seem to be able to advise if their unit will do the trick I was considering a Victron Tr 12/12 -9 or a BEP Surge Protection Module 12v Dc . I dont mind spending a few quid if it gives me piece of mind and security. Any suggestions?? All help and suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Paul
    The Victron Orion DC-DC converter looks very suitable, arguably better than the Alfatronix device, slightly more powerful with a better temp range. If possible I would not mount it on the engine to reduce the vibration.
    the BEP surge supressor clamps at 17V which is a bit high for me and it does not maintain a 12V nominal output if the supply voltage drops below 12V . I wouldn't use one for this job, as it wont supply the EDC with 12V when cranking with a flat-ish battery when the battery voltage could go as low as 8V.
    I would have thought the volvo DC DC converter of a KAD 300 would work fine too.
    Last edited by kashurst; 12-07-19 at 17:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast