Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bow Thruster Problem Advice sought

I had exactly the same issue earlier this year with precisely the same symptoms. I also used a camera to check prop was still there, then put on the mask and snorkel and it was clear the prop was just spinning on the shaft. When removed on dry land the drive pin had corroded and sheared. Cost of a new pin was just £3 from JG Technologies for my MaxPower thruster. Luckily for me this happened before the boat's annual lift, but otherwise a PITA. I think it would be difficult to do the repair underwater with snorkel. With the right bits and tools it's literally a 10 minute job to replace on the MaxPower unit and could certainly be done in slings.
    Last edited by AdeOlly; 05-07-18 at 14:23. Reason: Completed last sentence!
    Adrian is searching for his next boat....

No oil resevoir. No anodes - but this is a steel boat in fresh water with plenty of aluminium anodes on the hull, some of which are not far from the bow thruster.
    I agree that it will be very interesting to see the contents of the gearbox and I suspect you might be right about the shaft seal and an ingress of water.
    I do not plan to lift her in this lovely weather, so it will be a while before I can post the answers to all of the questions and suggestions etc.

This story has a happy ending. Last week I took the boat out of the water and removed the bow thruster with the help of my ever willing nephew! When I dismantled it I discovered that the pinion gears are held on the vertical and prop shafts using roll pins and that the roll pin on the vertical shaft had sheared.
    The shafts, pinion gears, seals and bearings were all in excellent condition. The gear box was still full
    of oil. I replaced the roll pin (cost of 1 euro!), reassembled the gear box and filled it with gear oil and
    it was ready to be reinstalled in the boat. Total time from start to finish of 4 hours.
    For the benefit of anyone with one of these Nobels bow thrusters the following details are provided;
    The fibreglass cover on my bowthruster says Technautic but it was actually manufactured by Nobels.
    Both the vertical and prop shafts have woodruff keys instead of shear pins. The woodruff key on the vertical shaft can be accessed from inside the boat when she is in the water.
    There are 4 grub screws which must be removed before the end caps on the prop shaft can be removed.
    After the prop shaft has been removed the vertical shaft can be removed using a punch through the oil plug hole.
    For extra strength I replaced the damaged roll pin and then put a smaller roll pin inside the new roll pin (known as a double roll pin).
    If you need parts, motor, carbon brushes etc contact info@rimex.nl
    Thanks to all who read and contributed to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    This story has a happy ending. Last week I took the boat out of the water and removed the bow thruster with the help of my ever willing nephew! When I dismantled it I discovered that the pinion gears are held on the vertical and prop shafts using roll pins and that the roll pin on the vertical shaft had sheared.
    The shafts, pinion gears, seals and bearings were all in excellent condition. The gear box was still full
    of oil. I replaced the roll pin (cost of 1 euro!), reassembled the gear box and filled it with gear oil and
    it was ready to be reinstalled in the boat. Total time from start to finish of 4 hours.
    For the benefit of anyone with one of these Nobels bow thrusters the following details are provided;
    The fibreglass cover on my bowthruster says Technautic but it was actually manufactured by Nobels.
    Both the vertical and prop shafts have woodruff keys instead of shear pins. The woodruff key on the vertical shaft can be accessed from inside the boat when she is in the water.
    There are 4 grub screws which must be removed before the end caps on the prop shaft can be removed.
    After the prop shaft has been removed the vertical shaft can be removed using a punch through the oil plug hole.
    For extra strength I replaced the damaged roll pin and then put a smaller roll pin inside the new roll pin (known as a double roll pin).
    Hi there. Great off you to actually post up what the problem was in the end so many posts donít have the final results !!

Regarding parts. Did you actually get hold of the above email and get parts from them ?
    I have e mailed with no response.

Cheers.

Thanks for your kind words - I gave the details of my repair in the hope that it might be of help to someone else with a similar problem.
    Yes I did get a reply from info@rimex.nl and they offered to help with parts if necessary - as it turned out I did not need any parts from them (just a roll pin which I got in the local motor factor's).

Thanks for replying and that was this year wasnít it ?
    Cheers.

Yes - the last e-mail from them was end of April 2019.
    Perhaps they are on holiday - you might need to be patient??
    Best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.

Good news that you got it fixed, and good that you came back to tell us. Hopefully it will help someone else in the future

Can I ask what you mean by a "roll pin", as against a "shear pin"? They sound very similar and, given that a roll pin had sheared, perhaps do the same job?

Can you get at the roll pins whilst in the water?

Presumably, when you refer to a Woodruff key this is different to the roll pins.

I only ask because, on a boat I used to own, there was a shear pin easily accessible from inside the boat, which sheared a few times when something like a piece of wood got sucked into the hole and jammed the propellor. As a layman, it would have been easy to call this pin a roll pin. I ended up buying a few shear pins and taping them to the inside of the housing where the shear pin was revealed.

Did you get a blow up diagram of your thruster..... perhaps a parts diagram, or similar?
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

The roll pin cannot be accessed without taking the boat out of the water and dismantling the bow thruster's gear box. My bow thruster has 2 roll pins (one on the prop shaft and one on the vertical shaft) and their job is to secure the pinion gears on the shafts. Because they are so difficult to access, they are definitely NOT the equivalent of the shear pins!!
    The 2 woodruff keys (I think they are identical in size, shape etc) play the same role as shear pins on other bow thrusters. One of them connects the prop to the prop shaft and is under water. The other one connects the motor to the vertical shaft and can be accessed from inside the boat without taking it out of the water. These woodruff keys should shear (hopefully the one inside the boat!) if something fouls the prop as you describe.
    Unfortunately I did not get any diagram of my bow thruster - such a diagram would have been very useful.
    I suggest using Google to get images and descriptions etc of "roll pins" and "woodruff keys".
    BTW I am a layman too and never heard of a "roll pin" until I opened the bow thruster gear box with the help of a more knowledgeable friend :-)

The roll pin cannot be accessed without taking the boat out of the water and dismantling the bow thruster's gear box. My bow thruster has 2 roll pins (one on the prop shaft and one on the vertical shaft) and their job is to secure the pinion gears on the shafts. Because they are so difficult to access, they are definitely NOT the equivalent of the shear pins!!
    The 2 woodruff keys (I think they are identical in size, shape etc) play the same role as shear pins on other bow thrusters. One of them connects the prop to the prop shaft and is under water. The other one connects the motor to the vertical shaft and can be accessed from inside the boat without taking it out of the water. These woodruff keys should shear (hopefully the one inside the boat!) if something fouls the prop as you describe.
    Unfortunately I did not get any diagram of my bow thruster - such a diagram would have been very useful.
    I suggest using Google to get images and descriptions etc of "roll pins" and "woodruff keys".
    BTW I am a layman too and never heard of a "roll pin" until I opened the bow thruster gear box with the help of a more knowledgeable friend :-)
    Interesting..... shame the roll pin sheared, and not the correct woodruff key. i wonder if that was unlucky, or a design issue.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast