Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Default Re: "Occasional" 240v

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    The are centre tapped... Having installed a per-temp 20kVA "site" transformer not too long ago, it was in fact centre tapped to earth. And yes, if you poked your finger into either the live or neutral holes of the socket, you would get a shock from it. They are not an isolating transformer. The point of the design is to ensure the maximum potential between either conductor and earth (which you'll be standing on) is a maximum of 55v.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    110 volt transformer - centre tap

I afraid I will have to correct you there.

The Reduced Low Voltage system RLVS - commonly used on construction sites is supplied via a centre tapped 110 volt transformer. This centre tap must be earthed, The direct contact shock voltage to earth is then 55 volts (singe phase transformer) or 64 volts (three phase transformer). It can be shown that the shock due to a fault (indirect contact) never exceeds 40 volts under any fault configuration.

This system is described in BS 7375 Code of Practice for Distribution of electricity on construction and building sites. I am a former member of the BS committee that revised that standard in the early 90's. The system is also describe in BS 7671 Requirements for electrical installations (Wiring Regulations).
    Thanks, my post is suitably ammend.
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post

Now returning to the original thread this, it seems, is one idea the OP does have, in which case the risk to others, (who may use shore power) possibly a subsequent owner cannot be understated, which is why I stick by my original advice that if the power system is to be installed, rather than just a stand alone inverter, it should be done properly.
    I hav taken that on board as it were, the system will be a stand alone set up. The sockets will be fed via the RCDs which are in turn connected directly to the inverter. there will be no way to plug in to shore power save for unplugging the inverter output and plugging a shore lead into the feed to the RCDs. Tpoo do so will involve an amounbt of faffing about that will discourage that any way! That should be Ok for any potential future owners to use safely. Naturally I will leave a wiring diagram and description with the boats technical documentation. A large part of my former profession was writing technical manuals so one would hope I am just about equal to the task.
    When i have tested the inverter i indend if it is wired as I suspect, to bond the earth/neutral in the manner I described at the beginning of the thread to ensure rcd operation. If the inverter is not as I suspect, i shall be asking further on here.
    Please bear in mind this is a 24ft yacht of 1960s vintage, so the interior is somewhat more bijou than a modern 24 fter, even finding a safe and convenient location for a double socket needs careful consideration.
    Future shore power, should we decide upon it, will be a camping type consumer unit and a lead chucked in a locker !
    Last edited by solent clown; 20-05-18 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by third engines View Post
    Para 1 Absolutely agree.

Para 2. How can you claim contributors are explaining openly their thinking step by step by publishing the word "nonsense" without an explanation as to why the theory is flawed?

Para 3. How you have the temerity to write this is beyond belief. See previous posts from other forumites where they have implicated, quote "bell end" to give one example.
    Everyone else on here manages to agree or disagree, correct one another, and still get along. You sir are singlehandedly serving merely to deflect the only purpose of this thread and achieving nothing of any merit or value for it's readers. There are systems in pace to make complaints. Please do not take that as an insult, it is merely my little fit of pique in having to pick irrelevant posts out of a very informative thread. You could make the thread a little tidier and easy to follow if you deleted them. If you do so I will do the same with this post for the sake of the archive.

<152587> is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    Everyone else on here manages to agree or disagree, correct one another, and still get along. You sir are singlehandedly serving merely to deflect the only purpose of this thread and achieving nothing of any merit or value for it's readers. There are systems in pace to make complaints. Please do not take that as an insult, it is merely my little fit of pique in having to pick irrelevant posts out of a very informative thread. You could make the thread a little tidier and easy to follow if you deleted them. If you do so I will do the same with this post for the sake of the archive.
    You are having a giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by third engines View Post
    You are having a giraffe.
    I have never had a giraffe, that would be (a) physically impossible without a system of ladders and pulleys, and a very compliant giraffe
    (b) a rather immoral act of beastiality, even with a compliant subject.
    This is a sailing forum, not a knocking shop for other species. What you visit a zoo for, and what other may do so for are perhaps different things. The majority of us have very little carnal interest in all the myriad wondrous creatures that nature has provided us with. Granted, many are delicious, but not in that way sir.
    There is a rather famous band, did a song on the subject...
    google The Tiger Lillies "V****a in the sky" It is the sad tale of a man who found himself besotted with a baby giraffe, but as time went on, things went up, as it were. You may find it quite diverting

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112