Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lock Keepers are they really a luxury?

[QUOTE=Aquafan;6430124]I would be interested to know to what extent the Govt subsidises the non tidal Thames and importantly the breakdown of where the money goes.
    It was inferred on another thread that us the boaters don’t deserve any subsidy and that we are going the right way to lose all our lock keepers to which I would take exception after all the Thames is the countries premier river and should be given the status and respect it deserves.
    So how much do the lock keepers cost? .. well there are 45 locks and say 45 lock keepers at an annual cost of say 2 million less I think 50% which is charged to another govt division to pay for the lock keepers to manage the weirs and river levels and reduce the risk of flooding. B1 can straighten my numbers out but the point here is the cost of retaining lock keepers isn’t that high.
    I for one value our lock keepers they do a great job without much thanks. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue at most locks on a hot bank holiday week end? The big pleasure boats would be in a real mess. Lock keepers keep us all safe particularly hire boats .. I could go on.[/QUOTE

To answer your question, I've dug out the last annual budget with headline numbers I had access to from 15/16 so you get a flavour:

All in £millions
    Income Budget
    Boat registration and charges 4.0
    Moorings and landing rent 0.8
    Other navigation income 0.5
    Water resources 0.7
    Government grant in aid 5.7
    Total 11.7

Expenditure
    Workforce cost 5.0
    Maintenance costs and projects 1.0
    Capital financing 3.1
    Support services 2.6
    Total 11.7
    When I was in the Navy ...

I wonder how much of that £5m workforce budget they could lose from desk based roles and spend on less luxurious items, like dredging?

It sounds like the budget provides boaters with a very good value for money.

Boaters pay £4 mill, which is probably what it costs to keep the navigation functional.

Another pointless miserable post, when you could just be out boating and enjoying yourself

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    It sounds like the budget provides boaters with a very good value for money.

Boaters pay £4 mill, which is probably what it costs to keep the navigation functional.

Another pointless miserable post, when you could just be out boating and enjoying yourself

Thanks Crusty, thats a subsidy of £750.00 PA of the 8000 odd boaters on the Thames, for around another £2.00 a day you could all go boating with clear conscience ........
    For £3.00 a day could employ a few more lockeepers as well ?
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-05-18 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Thanks Crusty, thats a subsidy of £750.00 PA of the 8000 odd boaters on the Thames, for around another £2.00 a day you could all go boating with clear conscience ........
    For £3.00 a day could employ a few more lockeepers as well ?
    Correction, for the average rower paying £19 a boat per year, they could start actually contributing to the river...

Do those bloody wash addicts in the coach boats pay the same as a MB owner, or do they get a special rowing club discount too?

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    Do those bloody wash addicts in the coach boats pay the same as a MB owner, or do they get a special rowing club discount too?
    According to British Rowing ( https://www.britishrowing.org/knowle...-registration/ ), coaching boats pay £42.50 per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsBody View Post
    According to British Rowing ( https://www.britishrowing.org/knowle...-registration/ ), coaching boats pay £42.50 per annum.
    That is unbelievable. 11p per day to run a petrol engined craft up and down the Thames causing moored boats to rock up and down like they're on the tidal.

The EA define the minimum chargeable area for a powered launch as 5 square metres at £19.60 per square metre i.e. £98, so are giving the rowing launches a hell of a discount!

Interestingly, the latest newsletter received from the ATYC today, states that according to the EA, some 2,000 boats have not yet renewed their annual license fee for 2018...

With the above two facts in mind, perhaps people can understand my comments elsewhere about all river users paying their fair share.
    Last edited by DogsBody; 18-05-18 at 11:46. Reason: Added information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast