Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seacock prob

Default Seacock prob

Toilet outlet through hull seacock only turns half the distance I remember it doing last year. In closed position I cannot pump out. In apparently partially open I can for number ones, and I'm too scared to risk it with 2s. Any clues as to what might be going on without diving or lifting the boat.

Default Re: Seacock prob

Quote Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
    Toilet outlet through hull seacock only turns half the distance I remember it doing last year. In closed position I cannot pump out. In apparently partially open I can for number ones, and I'm too scared to risk it with 2s. Any clues as to what might be going on without diving or lifting the boat.
    What type of seacock? Half is what, how many degrees?
    you could take the hose off to check

Gate valve or ball valve?

Google those terms for pictures of both.

It depends on the design of seacock. My Blakes Seacocks are reliable but I did have a wee problem the year I fitted the handle 180 degrees out. Could yours be 90 degrees off perhaps? If this were the case, you'd not be able to open it at all, however far you turned it.

If you have a Ball cock, it's possible you have an obstruction.

Either way, to solve the problem you need to haul out, even if its only for a tide, so you can examine it and solve the problem for good and all.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

It's a ball valve, not blakes type.

I could understand an obstruction stopping it closing, but not stopping it open?
    Last edited by PabloPicasso; 17-05-18 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Either way, to solve the problem you need to haul out, even if its only for a tide, so you can examine it and solve the problem for good and all.
    Or get/make something like this...

http://www.seabung.com/

Cheaper than a lift out, or make your own.

I could understand an obstruction stopping it closing, but not stopping it open?
    how many degrees can you move the handle?

It should turn 90 degrees. Quite probably it is calcium build up that is restricting it turning. Of course the risk with brute force is that the skin fitting is partly de-zinc'd and can't take it.

I replaced one a couple of years ago yet with a bit of brute force after replacement I got it working ok. Turned out to be bronze too, so would've lasted a while longer if I hadn't replaced it. I took the handle off and used an adjustable spanner to turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    It should turn 90 degrees. Quite probably it is calcium build up that is restricting it turning. Of course the risk with brute force is that the skin fitting is partly de-zinc'd and can't take it.

I replaced one a couple of years ago yet with a bit of brute force after replacement I got it working ok. Turned out to be bronze too, so would've lasted a while longer if I hadn't replaced it. I took the handle off and used an adjustable spanner to turn it.

Yes, it should turn 90 degrees but is likely only making 45. I took off the handle and tried a spanner. But it turns and stops at. definite point. I was reluctant to use force as the boat is afloat, and did not want to risk breaking any part.

I was reluctant to use force as the boat is afloat, and did not want to risk breaking any part.
    I know the feeling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast