Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Raymarine Autopilot Insallation

Many thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and comments. I have a space next to the stainless holding tank which I will investigate (assuming ss will not affect it).

The pole was never really an option though I have seen some where it is mounted that way.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    The pole was never really an option though I have seen some where it is mounted that way.
    How was it mounted on a pole? Just screwed to the side of it using the bulkhead mount? Seems a bit inelegant.

I still canít fathom why anyone would think to put an attitude and heading sensor on top of a pole. The longer lever arm will increase the motion and probably give worse results; the advice in the manual is the opposite, put it as close to the centre of motion as possible.

I suppose on a steel boat it could be advantageous to mount it clear of the hull and accept the extra motion. Is your boat steel? Were the ones you saw with poles steel?

Pete

The EV-1 goes through "compass linearisation" to set up variation and deviation. Mine is under the quarter berth in the aft cabin, and the power cable runs within half a meter, seems absolutely fine, deviation is a max of 2 degrees
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    The EV-1 goes through "compass linearisation" to set up variation and deviation. Mine is under the quarter berth in the aft cabin, and the power cable runs within half a meter, seems absolutely fine, deviation is a max of 2 degrees
    And there is also an option to synchronise it with the GPS. I haven't tried it yet, but have been told by other boat owners than it isn't difficult to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12