Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kings Ferry Bridge

Thanks all, very useful

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Chris, in ye olden days visit to Conyer was timed to arrive at the bridge nice and early to get a Flybridge, (usually with aerials up) underneath....
    Then super slow creep round to No 8 Red can bouy .Across when sufficent water .
    Swale map suggests when little island is covered you have 2m of water.
    In the past have gone across (on flood tide) a bit earlier with about 1m under keel.
    If bit choppy, usually wimp out and go long way round.
    A prompt exit and a minor whizz can get you back ( with aerials down) and under without lift .
    I've got my timings all worked out, was hoping to run them by you briefly if you're about this evening?
    I don't think we'll have any issue, neap tide, 3.3m vertical clearance and arriving at KFB at HW-2hrs should mean we'll breeze through. Not sure on Keith's air draft though, by my calculations we should be able to get under even at HW with the arch down but not sure about him. Hopefully he'll know!
    Really just trying to cover all the bases in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong...

I have long believed that Sheppey trains can pass each other at Swale station ( I think this may be visible at HW ,certain states of tree growth) since one train can appear very quickly after another crosses the bridge in the other direction.So having a boyhood belief challenged so publicly drives me first to google maps,where I see that there is a twin section of track available there,and thence to the South eastern railway timetable where I note for instance that a train arrives at Swale from Sheerness at 1759 and a train bound for Sheerness arrives at Swale at 1803.Possible only if trains can pass in that vicinity.

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    I have long believed that Sheppey trains can pass each other at Swale station ( I think this may be visible at HW ,certain states of tree growth) since one train can appear very quickly after another crosses the bridge in the other direction.So having a boyhood belief challenged so publicly drives me first to google maps,where I see that there is a twin section of track available there,and thence to the South eastern railway timetable where I note for instance that a train arrives at Swale from Sheerness at 1759 and a train bound for Sheerness arrives at Swale at 1803.Possible only if trains can pass in that vicinity.
    Yes you are right, sorry I was wrong. Just had a look at Google Maps. I knew Swale Station was a single platform and everywhere that you can see the track from the road its single track, but Google shows two tracks a short way back from Swale towards Sittingbourne.

Sorry to have been pedantic - not exactly something the OP needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    Sorry to have been pedantic - not exactly something the OP needed to know.
    Useful info nonetheless. Knowing the bridge was single track, the 'passing problem' had never occurred to me. It does explain why the northbound train always appears immediately after the southbound has left Swale station.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12