Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this stainless steel anchor chain suitable?

My 26ft Centaur currently has 8mm galvanised anchor chain, but the chain jams when the pile reaches the top of the locker, to free it I need to go down below in to the forpeak and adjust the chain before I can start the windlass again. This is OK with crew on board but I more that often sail single handed, and leaving the cockpit is often not an option.

In an attempt to cure the piling problem I was going to swap the gypsy from 8mm to 7mm and source 7mm stainless chain. But Jimmy Green cannot supply 7mm stainless chain and the only other source I can find is http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/7mm-x-2...gs-208.300.407 this is not specifically for marine use, but the loads look similar to galvanised chain. Is it suitable?

I could possibly move to 6mm, but that could be undesized for a Centaur in a blow?
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

Default Re: Is this stainless steel anchor chain suitable?

Can you actually obtain a 7mm gypsy?

Richard

7mm gypsies do exist but not for all windlass. Most windlass manufacturers have a gypsy spread sheet on their website but they can be difficult to find - so ring the manufacturer, before progressing.

I have not checked the Tecni link - but check the size specification for the stainless you want to buy, prior to telephoning the windlass maker - they will need to data to determine if their gypsy fits that chain.

Stainless, of the same size as gal, can have the same UTS but the yield of stainless is low and it can stretch (and still meet UTS). Check if it has been tested for Proof Strength to 2 x WLL (ring Tecni).

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Can you actually obtain a 7mm gypsy?

Richard
    Hi Richard, yes, Jimmy Green added it to their website earlier this week for me - https://jimmygreen.com/lofrans-acces...ize-7mm_din766

I bought some 10mm stainless steel anchor chain from this company. Very helpful and good price. Deliver charge was half the price Jimmy Green quoted. It solved our piling issue. As already stated better to stick with 8mm.

http://boatgeardirect.co.uk/chain/ca...ss-steel-chain

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Stainless, of the same size as gal, can have the same UTS but the yield of stainless is low and it can stretch (and still meet UTS). Check if it has been tested for Proof Strength to 2 x WLL (ring Tecni).

Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan, Tecni state that the WLL is 625 kgs and the MBL is 2500 kg, wich is 4 x WLL

To save the expense of changing your chain, couldn't you try one of those cone devices that, allegedly, stop the chain from piling up:-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...in-pyramiding&

If you are only anchoring for a few hours on the odd lunch stop then I guess SS chain might be OK

This is what one cruisers SS chain looked like after 7 months in the water in the tropics.

SS CHAIN 2.jpgSS CHAIN 1.jpg
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

6mm is more than adequate for your Centaur. You will never get anywhere near its SWL. SS chain is approx 3 times the price of galvanised and simply not worth it.

There is little you can do about chain piling up, particularly in a set up like yours - I assume you have a chain pipe to a locker below decks and no other access from on deck. That type of arrangement was never intended for use with a windlass.

I would certainly try anything that will alter the issue of the current galvanised chain.

Can you lower the base of the anchor locker? Would 6mm G40, or G70, chain not better 'fit'.

G70 6mm will tale up less space, so any towering will not be such an issue. Weight on the bow will be reduced. I don't know the 'purchase route' but Peerless sell metric G70, and maybe G40, from a store (I think) in Germany (though I don't recall if they supply 6mm - which would be strong enough). Send Peerless International an email.

There are many ways to skin rabbit!

Jonathan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast