Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is this stainless steel anchor chain suitable?

Eye Co near to Felixstowe do 6mm G40 chain. I use 6mm on my Moody 31 with no problems.
    They trade as boatgeardirect.co.uk online

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCottam View Post
    Hi Jonathan, Tecni state that the WLL is 625 kgs and the MBL is 2500 kg, wich is 4 x WLL
    The link says their chain is to DIN 766, which is a dimensional standard. It should therefore fit the gypsy you have linked to. The strength equates to Grade 30, the minimum standard. I think this chain may be good enough but is not specifically intended for anchoring. Much European made stainless chain is made in Spain for the fishing industry. The suggested Grade 70 6 mm would be more reliable.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I'll try seeing if I can get a cone to stop the piling, if that works great, if not I'll go fo the better 6mm grade Vyv suggests.

Thanks again.
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    SS chain is approx 3 times the price of galvanised and simply not worth it.

There is little you can do about chain piling up
    I don't have personal experience in an anchor locker, but stainless chain is more slippery than galvanised and a heap of it on a workshop floor does sit slightly flatter. It's reputed to reduce the piling effect somewhat.

I note that although there's a radio button for "7mm DIN766" on the Jimmy Green page, there's no such entry in the table below. I would double-check that the 7mm windlass they're offering is indeed for DIN766 chain (or will fit it well enough if not specifically made for it).

Pete

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I'll try seeing if I can get a cone to stop the piling, if that works great, if not I'll go fo the better 6mm grade Vyv suggests.

Thanks again.
    How did you get on with the cone which you were going to try? I also have a piling chain which I have to reach down and knock over several times each time the chain is wound in so am looking for a solution.

The DIN dimensions of the chain and gypsy have already been addressed. The specs on the web page mention the word '"marine" twice and also include the standard "316", so the chain should be perfectly serviceable, if EU manufactured.
    It has just occurred to me that we may no longer be able to use the term "gypsy", as Facebook has ruled that it is a term of abuse!😩

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    How did you get on with the cone which you were going to try?
    I didn't get that far down my list of possible solutions, I altered the where the chain drops down in to the locker, where it is deeper and the chain does not hit the top, and so far no jams.

The downside is, I now have a pipe in the middle of the v-berth, this has to be moved, whenever the v-berth is used and/or before/after anchoring. An inconvenience but one I'm prepared to accept so tyat I can raise/lower the anchor from the cockpit reliably. But, I appreciate this m,ay not be for everyone.

Pictures here: https://www.westerly-centaur.co.uk/n...chain-solution

I didn't get that far down my list of possible solutions, I altered the where the chain drops down in to the locker, where it is deeper and the chain does not hit the top, and so far no jams.

The downside is, I now have a pipe in the middle of the v-berth, this has to be moved, whenever the v-berth is used and/or before/after anchoring. An inconvenience but one I'm prepared to accept so tyat I can raise/lower the anchor from the cockpit reliably. But, I appreciate this m,ay not be for everyone.

Pictures here: https://www.westerly-centaur.co.uk/n...chain-solution
    Does the chain run down inside the pipe? If so, how to you remove the pipe?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Does the chain run down inside the pipe? If so, how to you remove the pipe?

Richard
    Hi Richard,

Originally I didn't think that the pipe would be in the way, as I thought 2 people could be in the v-berth and sleep with their feet either side, that proved not to be the case.

So I cut the 2 vertical pieces of pipe and sheeved them with 2 pieces of silicone pipe, when at anchor I can then remove the pipe/chain and hang out of the way. I don't have a picture of this to hand.

So far it seems to work quite well.

A boat anchored off the Chaguaramas in Trindad had stainless chain he was anchored for over a year with the chain rubbing over the sand, this caused crevice corrosion and it broke. I have never heard of galvanised chain breaking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast