Default Lands End northbound

I’m sure this must’ve been asked many times before, but can’t find a link; I’m planning a trip in fin keel yacht from Newlyn but it looks tight to get to Padstow before inner harbour gate closes if I’m to catch fair tide around lands end. So it looks like anchoring at st ives, where shelter looks ok, sort of. I’ve done Newlyn to Padstow in one go once before, but that was with lifting keel, so assume that’s how I got away with it. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Any advice very much appreciated.

Default Re: Lands End northbound

A bit more research, looks like Port Quin Bay anchorage is the back up option, seem to have answered my own question by reading harbour master notes.
    Last edited by JonWA; 25-05-18 at 06:09.

There's all sorts of weird back eddies round lands end that can help you on your way. I'm not familiar with them so would suggest referring to a detailed west coast pilot (book).

As far as I remember, you can get over 7hrs fair tide which will speed you on the way to Padstow.

Leave Newlyn to be at the Runnel Stone at HW Dover -2. Keep within 400 metres or so of the shore and use the inshore passage inside Longships, past Sennen Cove and Outside the Bisons. Then hug the shore except for a couple of reefs up to St Ives. This way you use 2 hours of counter-current; you then have an easy 5-6 hours to reach Padstow. I've done it a few times. Just be careful if vis is low or the swell high (ie don't!). I draw 1.5m but I've done it in 2m boats too.

Page 144 in 2017 Reeds
    Last edited by mattonthesea; 25-05-18 at 17:14. Reason: missed a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    As far as I remember, you can get over 7hrs fair tide which will speed you on the way to Padstow.
    That’s right, but unfortunately still tight for the gate at Padstow at a steady 5 or 6 kts, maybe ok if you’re romping along at 8 or 10 and I’m not sure favourable tide will help that much. Just looking at Mark Fishwick’s West Country companion, he’s understandably downbeat about the coastline. Think I’d best wait for benign conditions that would ensure St Ives or Port Quin bay are viable at anchor. At the moment next week looks to have too much north in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    Leave Newlyn to be at the Runnel Stone at HW Dover -2. Keep within 400 metres or so of the shore and use the inshore passage inside Longships, past Sennen Cove and Outside the Bisons. Then hug the shore except for a couple of reefs up to St Ives. This way you use 2 hours of counter-current; you then have an easy 5-6 hours to reach Padstow. I've done it a few times. Just be careful if vis is low or the swell high (ie don't!). I draw 1.5m but I've done it in 2m boats too.

Page 144 in 2017 Reeds
    Ok, that’s helpful, thanks. I’ve been looking at Reeds which is as you say, and it seemed a bit tight for Padstow, perhaps I’m being over cautious, but then it is north Cornwall. I’m drawing 1.9m and don’t want to find myself trying to get into Padstow after HW. I’ll have another look at the timing. Thanks.